Should Apolyton protest SOPA? [SERIOUS]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How SOPA would affect you: FAQ | Privacy Inc. - CNET News
    news.cnet.com/8301...3.../how-sopa-would-affect-you-faq/ by Declan McCullagh · in 13,674 Google+ circles · More by Declan McCullagh
    21 Dec 2011 – CNET takes an in-depth look at the controversial Stop Online Piracy Act, backed by Hollywood and opposed by the largest Web companies and ...

All About SOPA, the Bill That Wants to Cripple Your Internet Very Soon
    lifehacker.com/.../all-about-sopa-the-bill-thats-going-to-crip... by Adam Dachis · in 17,303 Google+ circles · More by Adam Dachis
    16 Dec 2011 – SOPA, or the Stop Online Piracy Act, is another one of those bills that sounds like it's going to do something mildly positive but, in reality, has ...
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Piracy must be stopped at all costs! It's the only conceivable reason why struggling authors are struggling. Their fortunes will change if no one can get their books for free (except at the library).

Comment

They keep on adding admendments to it, as if it wasn't bad enough already. I took down my website in preperation for its passage. Supposedly if you hum a copyrighted tune on youtube (if it continues to run even after this), you could face a felony and 5 years in prison thanks to SOPA. Not quite sure what they'll do for parrots humming showtunes...... maybe get the electric chair? Sarcasm aside, it makes no differentation for sites that are fan based or for heavy pirating places, they'll both be shut down. As it holds content providers legally responsible for whatever their users post, its a liability nightmare, many ISP's and internet infrastructure services are against this, but do i think it will make a difference probably not.

Although I did come up with a new way forums can work under the new law, tell me how you like this (could work great for the off-topic right?):

1) a post is submitted to a panel of moderators that comb through it and remove anything involving copyright
        2) If the post is passed it is allowed to posted, however editing features of post are disabled.
        3) Links to any outside source are banned, as they could potentionally be a liability on the site.

Not to mention that the rest of the site will go down probably. Maybe robert will be nice enough to keep the OT open, so we can moan about it.
        "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

Comment

So posting You Tube music videos, here or elsewhere, would be affected?
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

It's likely that Youtube out of pure liability reasons will shut off its USA based site, and severely moniter and censor other access to it.

With the same congress (and President) that passed the NDAA i think its fairly naive to think that this won't pass.
            "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

Comment

Tools that kill SOPA are already available.

Kate sez, "Soapy is a new web browser plug-in that allows users to visit websites blocked by SOPA by automatically redirecting them to the site's IP address. The Firefox version…
              Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
              We've got both kinds

Comment

I assume you've all contacted your senators, representatives to explain why SOPA sucks and they should vote against it?
                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

Yes.
                  "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                      I assume you've all contacted your senators, representatives to explain why SOPA sucks and they should vote against it?

You are adorable.
                      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I boycotted GoDaddy. (I was planning on moving all my domains off anyways, so I suppose it wasn't much of a boycott on my part.)

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                          Tools that kill SOPA are already available.

http://boingboing.net/2012/01/11/soa...-anti-sop.html
                          After SOFA passes even posting that could become a crime because it hinders the enforcement of SOFA.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

It's also not going to keep websites from being liable for what their users post or what is posted on other sites that have been linked to, which are the real problems with SOPA.

Comment

For the UK posters: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-16544335

Frankly, it's retarded at best.
                              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Wow, the British are subject to American copyright laws?

Comment

Working...
                                X