Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter Lougheed dead.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/09...dead-thursday/

CALGARY — One of Alberta’s most influential and revered former premiers has died in the Calgary hospital that bears his name.

Sources told the Calgary Herald late Thursday night that Peter Lougheed passed away at the age of 84. The patrician Albertan was a lawyer, a former Edmonton Eskimos player, a Harvard graduate and premier of the province for 14 years.
    There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• I picked the wrong former Alberta premier.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/art...170094716.html

John Ingle, longtime actor on 'General Hospital,' dies at 84

NEW YORK, N.Y. - An actor who for two decades played a scheming patriarch on the daytime drama "General Hospital" has died in Los Angeles. ABC says John Ingle was 84.

Ingle took over the role as the ruthless Edward Quartermaine in 1993 and made his final appearance in an episode airing last week. He died Sunday.

In a career spanning more than 30 years he had acting credits in TV shows including "Days of Our Lives," ''Big Love" and "The Drew Carey Show" and in films such as "Batman and Robin" and "Heathers."

The native of Tulsa, Okla., was a graduate of Occidental College. He taught at Hollywood High School, UCLA and Beverly Hills High School.

His wife of 57 years, Grace-Lynne Martin, died in February. He is survived by their five daughters.
        There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• NEW YORK (AP) NFL Films President Steve Sabol, half of the father-son team that revolutionized sports broadcasting and mythologized pro football into the country's favorite sport, died Tuesday from brain cancer. He was 69.

In March 2011, Sabol was diagnosed with a tumor on the left side of his brain after being hospitalized for a seizure.

His father, Ed, founded NFL Films, and Steve was there working beside him right from the start in 1964. They introduced a series of innovations now taken for granted today, from slow-motion replays to blooper reels to sticking microphones on coaches and players. And they hired the "Voice of God," John Facenda, to read lyrical descriptions in solemn tones.

"Steve Sabol was the creative genius behind the remarkable work of NFL Films," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement from the league confirming Sabol's death. "Steve's passion for football was matched by his incredible talent and energy. Steve's legacy will be part of the NFL forever. He was a major contributor to the success of the NFL, a man who changed the way we look at football and sports, and a great friend."

Ed Sabol was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame last year. The two received the Lifetime Achievement Emmy from the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences in 2003.

"We see the game as art as much as sport," Steve Sabol told The Associated Press before his father's Hall induction. "That helped us nurture not only the game's traditions but to develop its mythology: America's Team, The Catch, The Frozen Tundra."

Steve Sabol received 35 Emmys for writing, cinematography, editing, directing and producing. No one else had ever earned that many in as many different categories.

He began his career as a cinematographer under his father. Steve was the perfect fit for the job: an all-Rocky Mountain Conference running back at Colorado College majoring in art history.

"His work humanized the players, coaches and people who have made the National Football League so great," said San Francisco 49ers CEO Jed York.

The Sabols' advances included everything from reverse angle replays to filming pregame locker room speeches to setting highlights to pop music.

"Today of course those techniques are so common it's hard to imagine just how radical they once were," the younger Sabol told the AP last year. "Believe me, it wasn't always easy getting people to accept them, but I think it was worth the effort."

An accomplished collage artist, Sabol exhibited at the ArtExpo in New York, the Avant Gallery in Miami, the Govinda Gallery in Washington, the Milan Gallery in Fort Worth, Texas, and the Garth Davidson Gallery in Moorestown, N.J.

It was Steve's high school football games in Philadelphia that gave Ed his only experience filming sports before he won the rights to chronicle the 1962 NFL championship game.

"This is a sad day for football fans everywhere," Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay said. "As someone who grew up watching NFL Films creations, I can attest to Steve's vision and contribution to the incredible popularity of this sport. His, along with his father, Ed's, creativity and passion for the game cultivated many, many avid fans."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz26r4U1nJR
          Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

• Good information about hollywood

Comment

• It's sad when they go so young.

WASHINGTON - The giant panda cub born at the National Zoo just one week ago died on Sunday, zoo officials said.

While the exact cause of the baby panda’s death is yet to be determined, zoo officials said the cub, which weighed just under 100 grams (about 3.5 ounces), was in good body condition and that there were no outward signs of trauma or infection.

The cub’s death was discovered Sunday morning after panda keepers and zoo volunteers heard a distress vocalization from its mother, Mei Xiang.

The panda cam that allowed the public to watch the baby and its mother over the Internet was turned off and zoo staff retrieved the body for evaluation.

The unnamed cub was born on Sept. 16 after five years of failed efforts at conception. Fourteen-year-old Mei Xiang was described as a good mother. At the time of the birth, zoo officials had said the first month of life was crucial in the life of a panda cub.

This was Mei Xiang’s second cub. She gave birth to her first cub, Tai Shan, July 9, 2005. Tai Shan is now at the China Conservation and Research Center for the Giant Panda in Wolong.
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Sam the Record Man is dead

TORONTO - Generations of music-lovers who once frequented Toronto's iconic Sam the Record Man store regarded the owner's retirement 12 years ago as the day the music died.

Now, after a career that spanned seven decades, people everywhere are paying tribute to Sam Sniderman, who died Sunday at 92.

Sam the Record Man, who had stores across the country, "was the last of the great Canadian showmen that were able to establish themselves as household names purely through the force of their personality," close friend Brian Robertson, chairman emeritus of the Canadian Recording Industry Association, said Monday.

"He was a mentor to literally hundreds of Canadian artists and musicians and the Yonge St. record store and Sam's presence there was the centre of the Canadian music industry's universe for over three decades."

With new-release, foreign, classical, folk, ethnic and short-run platters everywhere, "you could spend a lifetime going through records that Sam forgot," former Toronto mayor David Crombie said.

"Sam kept his eye on the street and wasn't shy about making sure the city was doing the right thing," said Crombie, who was mayor from 1972-78.

"He also loved talking about the business."

The high school dropout and savvy businessman also befriended and mentored performers — whose photos were everywhere.

Anne Murray, Gordon Lightfoot, Joni Mitchell and The Guess Who were among the regulars who chatted with fans and signed autographs.
                http://www.torontosun.com/2012/09/23...sniderman-dies

Comment

• Singer Andy Williams has succumbed to bladder cancer at age 84... RIP

Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• I was just wondering what I was going to do this morning. That gives me an excuse to procrastinate further.

Comment

• Andy Williams was 84 and a choice of two teams:

ColdWizard (4) = (171 - 4) + (100 - 84) = 183 points

Wezil (20) = 167 points

ColdWizard opens a sizable lead.

Comment

• While I put them up there for a reason, I didn't think I'd hit on 5 of my top 6.
                        Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

• Going for the humble vote, huh?
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• I didn't do too well my first go around, so I'm a bit surprised so far.

Comment

• First time? People, like that ***** Zsa Zsa Gabor continue to live out of spite. I've grown to loath her. She makes me so mad.
                              WOULD YOU PLEASE JUST DIE already?
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• I'm pretty sure that jackass husband of hers keeps her alive for whatever scheme he has going.

Comment

Working...
                                X