No announcement yet.

The Alamo defenders were mercenaries for slavery and imperialism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for more evidence that you don't read, you're stupid or both.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
      Why do you keep saying ****ing apologizing. No one's saying to apologize for ****. We're saying to recognize the freaking facts.
      Sloww's illiteracy probably led him to confuse "apology" (which no one is asking him for) and "apologist" (which he has rightfully been accused of being with regard to Southern racism and support for slavery).

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian View Post
        Imran, buddy, seriously: it was a slave-holders landgrab. This was well-understood at the time. Biting off pieces of Mexico was the favored passtime of Slave Power back then.
        This is a lazy view of history and I'm saddened to see that you take it fullscale. Were Texans slave owners? Of course. Was it banned in Mexico? Yes, for years. Was in enforced? Barely.

Consequently, Mexico's prohibition of slavery was essentially unenforced.
        Did 10 other provinces rebel once Santa Anna came to power and scrapped the Mexican Constitution for a dictatorship? Yes.
        Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; January 6, 2012, 11:08.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
          On most things I'm all in favour of compromise and seeking balance, but when theres a clear agenda to paint over the wrongs of the past, then no, that requires people to stand up and fight against it. It's not about the details of a historical event, its about bigotry by the back door. The 'Lost Cause' brigade brought about millions of kids being wrongly educated which almost certainly prolonged the civil rights movement by several decades. Maybe one day it won't matter any more in any practical way, but until racism is properly stamped out, it still does.
          So because of modern political and social concerns, history should be written in favor of a particular concern rather than searching for what really happened?
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
            So because of modern political and social concerns, history should be written in favor of a particular concern rather than searching for what really happened?
            No, it should be written in the way it actually happened and that means that the pivotal role that slavery played in it all gets included in big bold letters in size 50 type. Were there other factors? Sure there were, but slavery ran thick and vile through the whole mess, and any attempt to deny the driving role it played in Texan independance is revisionism pure and simple.

Comment

No, it should be written in the way it actually happened and that means that the pivotal role that slavery played in it all gets included in big bold letters in size 50 type. Were there other factors? Sure there were, but slavery ran thick and vile through the whole mess, and any attempt to deny the driving role it played in Texan independance is revisionism pure and simple.
              So, wait. Slavery was a fact of life. Technically illegal but unenforced (and basically unenforceable) and it was the driving role? How does that make ANY sense?

Comment

So, wait. Slavery was a fact of life. Technically illegal but unenforced (and basically unenforceable) and it was the driving role? How does that make ANY sense?
                Slavery banned but the ban generally unenforced. Santa Anna puts in place moves to make Mexico a more centralized state, which would inevitably lead to things like the slavery ban actually being enforced for a change. His governor in Texas starts doing things like refusing to return runaway slaves, which leads to a revolt. Meanwhile the US southern states are happily whipping their slaves and ringing in the dollars. Texas secedes and becomes a massive slave state. Please tell me how it is even possible to not see the obvious link here?

Comment

Slavery banned but the ban generally unenforced. Santa Anna puts in place moves to make Mexico a more centralized state, which would inevitably lead to things like the slavery ban actually being enforced for a change. His governor in Texas starts doing things like refusing to return runaway slaves, which leads to a revolt. Meanwhile the US southern states are happily whipping their slaves and ringing in the dollars. Texas secedes and becomes a massive slave state. Please tell me how it is even possible to not see the obvious link here?
                  There was no overt moves to actually enforce the ban on slavery. Santa Anna wasn't an idiot - Mexico looked the other way on slavery for decades because that's the only way Anglo settlement could occur. The Texians were far more fearful that Santa Anna would enforce the requirements that Texas only produce certain crops. In addition, 10 other provinces revolted at the time of Santa Anna's coup.

I know its in vogue to yell "SLAVERY" for every little thing involving a Southern state, but this isn't the US Civil War where slavery was an overt reason for secession.

Comment

• That of course will be why the famous modern revisionist John Quincy Adams said in Congress in 1836..

Originally posted by John Quincy Adams
                    "the war now raging in Texas is a Mexican civil war and a war for the re-establishment of slavery where it was abolished."

Comment

• Of course John Quincy Adams wasn't strongly tied to the abolitionist movement and didn't want to portray Texas in a bad light as a result due to fears of potential annexation.

Comment

Of course John Quincy Adams wasn't strongly tied to the abolitionist movement and didn't want to portray Texas in a bad light as a result due to fears of potential annexation.
                        Ah so prominent minds of the day were just engaging in pre-emptive revisionism. Good thing you saw through his evil schemes.

Comment

• If you don't think Quincy had an agenda...

Comment

• Of course he had an agenda, stamping on slavery until it was nothing but a horrid memory. I happen to think that was a pretty great agenda to have, especially in a time when standing up to Slave Power could get you beaten or murdered, even if you were a prominent politician. He opposed the annexation of Texas because he knew it gave the slave states more power, and he was right.

You are however implying that he was lying, and I'm interested to see you prove that accusation.

Comment

The Texians were far more fearful that Santa Anna would enforce the requirements that Texas only produce certain crops.
                              Are you really too stupid to see the connection here? Cotton and slavery were inextricably linked. Requiring that Texas settlers only grow food crops (as they were under contract to do) was unacceptable to the cotton-growing, slave-owning Texas elite.

Comment

Of course he had an agenda, stamping on slavery until it was nothing but a horrid memory. I happen to think that was a pretty great agenda to have, especially in a time when standing up to Slave Power could get you beaten or murdered, even if you were a prominent politician. He opposed the annexation of Texas because he knew it gave the slave states more power, and he was right.

You are however implying that he was lying, and I'm interested to see you prove that accusation.
                                I am implying that he viewed the conflict through a biased eye. And I believe I already have through wikipedia quotes and arguements that slavery was tangential to the conflict itself.

Comment

Working...
                                X