Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long have you believed what you believe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All my life I suppose. Only about half of it much stronger now and half of it much less so.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
      Mom made me go to church until I was twelve or so, and I pointed out to her that I never have and never would believe in Roman Catholicism. I've been strictly an atheist at least since I was ten.
      So about 3 years?

Comment

Why is everyone talking about religious beliefs? My first instinct after reading the OP was to assume he was asking in general and more about political beliefs.
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
          So about 3 years?
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
            Why is everyone talking about religious beliefs? My first instinct after reading the OP was to assume he was asking in general and more about political beliefs.

Let's assume that you can't follow a written sentence, when taken in it's entirety.

When he used terms like "Christian" and "secular", and followed up with "atheist/agnostic/secular", maybe they could count as clues.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
              Let's assume that you can't follow a written sentence, when taken in it's entirety.

When he used terms like "Christian" and "secular", and followed up with "atheist/agnostic/secular", maybe they could count as clues.

Also, people faith tends to be VERY important to them and changes in that are fairly large changes and result in very different outlooks on life.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                So about 3 years?
                I'm flattered. It'd be really impressive if I was 13 and attending college.
                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                  Apolytoners are an opinionated bunch. And we tend to think about and argue for our opinions more than most other groups I've encountered. I'm curious, however, as to how long people on Apolyton have held to their current belief systems. Whether you're a Christian, a Secular Humanist, a Libertarian, or some whacko who wants to transform humanity into an all-knowing psychic blob, how long have you believed what you believe? And what did you believe beforehand? And what caused you to change to your current beliefs? And do you think your beliefs might change in the future?

Personally, my current philosophical outlook is about 8.5 years old. During the summer of 2003 I had a series of revelations that now form the foundation for everything I think. Before then I generally described myself as something approximating an atheist/agnostic/secular humanist. I find it highly unlikely that my beliefs will change significantly in the future (surprise, surprise), but given that I plan on living forever, it's very possible that I will be proven wrong.

What about the rest of you?
                  I'm sorry, Sloww. I wasn't aware Libertarianism is a religion.
                  "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                  "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                    I'm flattered. It'd be really impressive if I was 13 and attending college.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Zoolander-t-shirt-lg.gif
Views:	1
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	9092520

Last edited by kentonio; December 27, 2011, 18:37.

Comment

I think I was more of a libertarian when I was 12.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                        I'm sorry, Sloww. I wasn't aware Libertarianism is a religion.

Religion....cult....why quibble over trivial details?
                        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

When I was 16, I met a politically active 15 year old girl with amazing tits. She was a social democrat. I have been left of centre ever since, and I still love nice tits.
                          There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

The OP question is a bit stupid - it assumes that you belive in something in a religious way even if you are an atheist.

Most of my family wasn't religious, so I wasn't pushed to praying etc. - could be the reason why I always found religious ceremonies awkward.

Anyway, dismissed god at 6 or 7 since it really didn't make any sense.
                            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

They did try to indoctrinate me when I was about eight, (Just got into catholic school) and well, to their credit, it did work for oh, at least two or tree months.
                              I have gotten more 'militant' the older I've become (for good reason imho).

As for the rest, "if you're not a communist at seventeen, you have no hart. If you're still a communist at forty, you have no brain".
                              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I've adhered to the Psychic Blob movement since as far back as I can remember. Not a day goes by when I don't think back to my time as a member of the local Psychic Blob choir. Now I can rest assured of 72 amorphous blob-like creatures when I too pass into bloblivion.
                                "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

Working...
                                X