Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long have you believed what you believe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long have you believed what you believe?

Apolytoners are an opinionated bunch. And we tend to think about and argue for our opinions more than most other groups I've encountered. I'm curious, however, as to how long people on Apolyton have held to their current belief systems. Whether you're a Christian, a Secular Humanist, a Libertarian, or some whacko who wants to transform humanity into an all-knowing psychic blob, how long have you believed what you believe? And what did you believe beforehand? And what caused you to change to your current beliefs? And do you think your beliefs might change in the future?

Personally, my current philosophical outlook is about 8.5 years old. During the summer of 2003 I had a series of revelations that now form the foundation for everything I think. Before then I generally described myself as something approximating an atheist/agnostic/secular humanist. I find it highly unlikely that my beliefs will change significantly in the future (surprise, surprise), but given that I plan on living forever, it's very possible that I will be proven wrong.

What about the rest of you?
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

I went from Christian to not-a-Christian about sixteen or seventeen years ago, and I went from not-a-Christian to atheist about twelve years ago

I became a pseudo-libertarian-in-theory-but-not-in-practice about twelve or thirteen years ago, and I didn't really have any political beliefs before that (because I couldn't vote before that)

I assume that my political beliefs have changed and will change, and I doubt that my religious beliefs will change
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Went from 'surely there must be something supernatural!' to 'cynical atheist asshat' about 7-8 years ago. Slowly been drifting from right to left politically for decades, especially on social issues.

Originally posted by Loin
      I assume that my political beliefs have changed and will change, and I doubt that my religious beliefs will change
      That basically.

Comment

I believe we have always been at war with Eurasia.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

If you talk about Christianity, pretty much as long as I can remember (with a few 'questioning times').

If you talk about my current system of beliefs which are quite a bit different than those I held 10 years ago and 20 years ago (despite still being a member of the same 'church'), then I would say that I started on my current path in early 2006 or even late 2005, but that I am still growing spiritually (hopefully healthily, but sometimes not).

My political opinions also change, but these are often not so much based on beliefs as changes in circumstances/how pragmatic I am/etc.

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

My political beliefs have always been mildly leftist, but have become increasingly undefined as I realize just how ignorant I am when it comes to politics/economics/etc. I like to believe I'm going to nail those down when I have time to study the subjects better.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Yeah, I guess the 'changing circumstances' and 'pragmatic' parts would be considered by some to really be improving my understanding of economics.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Not KH.

Comment

I became a Christan 2 years ago (Dec 2, 2009 to be precise). It changed due to being in contact with actual Christians, filled with love and a spark of something unknown to me, rather than the characture I had assumed of "holy rollers". I realized that I didn't have that overwhelming love for someone they had just met, though I wanted to have it and abstractly assumed I did. I doubt they'll change in the future, but will get more and more refined as I try to read all I can get a hand on about my new found faith.

This has also resulted in quite a drastic shift in my political beliefs, though that was starting to begin prior (I blame Dubya).
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

When I was about 8 years old I could recite the books, in order, of both the New and Old Testament, so for a while now.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

About religion, always been an infidel, but ages ago much more of the "I have to convert others to my POV since this will save humanity from extinction" sort which I find boring now, for various reasons.

Politically I've been a commie when I was a school boy, but started to move away from it gradually long before Poly. For US standards I'm probably still somewhat of a commie, like Obama certainly. For the classic left in Krautland that is probably rather suspicious.

Poly debates sometimes had a certain impact on my views in specific topics. Today I'm always right of course.
                      Blah

Comment

Apolyton has never directly changed a belief of mine, but it has caused me to do more thinking and research about things.

Comment

Raised Orthodox, never left the church. Started to drift away from my parents' liberalism (by US standards) in my late teens, now I'm a moderate with a patchwork of different left and right opinions. I guess that's been the case for somewhere between five and ten years, then.
                          1011 1100
                          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Tricky question. I just make it up as I go along, and there's never a stopwatch around when you need one.
                            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Mom made me go to church until I was twelve or so, and I pointed out to her that I never have and never would believe in Roman Catholicism. I've been strictly an atheist at least since I was ten.
                              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Working...
                              X