Pros and Cons of Proving God Exists?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
    I don't see the distinction. If a powerful alien said "Hey, I've been thinking about this for the past few billion years, and have concluded that loving each other is better than hating each other," then that would carry more weight with me than a Creator saying "Hey, I made y'all, now love each other to please me." The former is "worshiping" a being because of its presumed wisdom, while the latter is worshiping a being because of its presumed power.
    You may not, but I personally have known the difference on agreeing that something is better to do in the abstract and agreeing that something is better to do because our loving Creator desires we do so. That and the knowledge that every person is a fellow Creation of God and is due the love and honor that all that entails results in different action than simply acknolwedging that we are all humans and have equal rights.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Like I have the same right to be murdered as Imran does, really loses something in the Divine intention for mankind.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Everyone turned into Ben Kenobi while I was away!?!
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by chequita guevara View Post
            Everyone turned into Ben Kenobi while I was away!?!
            No, but we did ban BK.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
              No, but we did ban BK.
              What's the point if everyone became a theist?
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Kid is the only recent convert to theism. The rest of us are still heathens.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Kid was a theist before Imran.

Comment

...really? Is my mental timeline that askew? Blargle.

Comment

One wonders if equating all theists with Ben Kenobi is a BK type of generalization? In which case, Che has become BK!
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Some people think Ben is the wrong kind of christian.
                        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                          I didn't answer your question directly because I was asking exactly what you were saying. And yes, I do think the 10 Commandments are inferior to Jesus's summary of the law - Jesus is the perfect revelation, everything else pales in comparison. I think the principles in the 10 Commandments are Godly principles and came directly from God, HOWEVER, I think that God doesn't demand slavish obedience, but a heartfelt desire to please him, as you would wish to please a spouse (you do stuff for him/her because you love).
                          God wants obedient servants. That's what the Bible says all over the place. Jesus said it. Nowhere in the Bible does it say the 10 Commandments are inferior to any other part of the Word. No part of the Word is inferior or superior to any other.

And yes God most defimitely makes the rules, and no one else including yourself.
                          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

If god gave a **** about obedient servants, who didn't he just design humanity to be obedient? It makes no sense.

Comment

Nowhere in the Bible does it say the 10 Commandments are inferior to any other part of the Word
                              Then why did Jesus add to them? Murder violates a commandment, but Jesus said if you hate you've already sinned. Adultery violates another, but Jesus said if you even lust you've sinned. The 10 Commandments deal mostly with actions whereas Jesus identified the thoughts that sometimes precede the actions. Besides, Jesus ripped apart the divorce laws under Moses so he wasn't worried about changing laws from God.

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                                If god gave a **** about obedient servants, who didn't he just design humanity to be obedient? It makes no sense.
                                Because obedience was a secondary priority to freedom.
                                1011 1100
                                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                                X