My new church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
    wow! an interesting and in depth survey... 100 pages long with this religious bit inside...

I find it amazing that UK scored with only 20% of people confirming to be atheist...
    60% said they didn't believe in God.

Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

but this 40% spirit/force thing is way high...
      Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

I imagine that in atheist nations people aren't comfortable making their true beliefs known.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

could be...as according to the survey only one in 5 would confirm that they are clear atheists... while in real life experience... I'd struggle to find 1 in 5 who would not think that anything other than no god/no nothing is an option...

OK this may include older age groups etc... but regardless, I am surprised that the numbers are that high... if 40% was "believe in God" + those agnostic people, it would be more palatable but still high... this way with only 20% identifying as atheist... it's just weird.
          Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
          GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
            but this 40% spirit/force thing is way high...
            Yeah, but what does it mean? Very unclear.

I wouldn't say the UK was an athiest nation though.
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

I have met a number people who claim to be atheists who seem to think/etc that might be a 'human spirit' or 'universal life force' or something...

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Exactly.

And by any of the definitions here you'd have to say it was 60% Athiest not 20% for the UK based on those figures.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

Interestingly that's a vastly different number to if you ask people what religion they are, where people will habitually say they are CofE, even if they never go to church and don't really believe in god, just because that's their heritage.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

There have been Christian pantheists in my denomination since the beginning, so I don't think that all Christians who don't believe in God are just cultural/heritage Christians (although a good number are).

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Ingrid View Post
                      I wasn't talking about Denmark. It's certainly a barbaric place, but at least they're not particularly religious there
                      I vos chuss kidding. It just struck me that 'Babette's Feast' was particularly apposite since it has two elderly Lutheran women (strict but charitable) in a bleak part of Denmark who accept an immigrant into their home. Who just happens to be a world class French chef...

If there's a Sri Lankan, Vietnamese or Moroccan chef out there looking for asylum, I'm sure I could clear som books out of the way...
                      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                        In many of the countries with particularly low theist/deist levels, the belief in a spirit/life force is high. I think that there has been a large shift away from theology to mysticism.
                        Are you suggesting there's a conflict between theology and mysticism, or that theology can't be mystical? Them's fighting words...

Is belief in a "spirit or lifeforce" akin to the big hunk of U.S. youth who identify as "spiritual but not religious"? Because I wouldn't consider that latter group atheists as such; in my limited experience, they seem to have simply taken the modern consumerist ideals of apathy and self-absorption and applied them to religion.
                        1011 1100
                        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Some of them just really haven't a clue. They say they are spiritual, but if you talk to them it's evident that they haven't really thought about it.
                          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Good luck, Kid.
                            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Working...
                            X