Travel to Mexico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel to Mexico

A friend wants to go to Mexico in December with me.

I've read a lot of stuff that leads me to believe that this might not be the safest holiday destination.

Are there any areas that are safer? Where are they?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

This is why we need that border fence with alligator moats I was talking about. Keep the dangerous Mexicans away.

Comment

It's perfectly safe unless you go there looking to get involved in illegal things. Resort towns are especially safe because they know keeping tourists happy is their economic bread and butter so they use their police to protect the tourist trade.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Thank you, Oerdin.

Are there certain regions that are safer than others? Where is the drug war going horribly wrong?

I like the alligator moat idea.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

stay out of the non touristy areas and you´ll be fine

Comment

Yeah, you could have trouble if you in the north of the country where there are a lot of problems related to the drug trade. However, as people have said, the touristy areas, the capital and the south of the country are fine in general. I have spent a lot of time in the capital and never had any trouble...but of course, always be sensible!
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Mexico used to be a place in which you could travel all over the country reasonably safe, nowadays I would advice you to only go to the very touristic places
              I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                A friend wants to go to Mexico in December with me.

I've read a lot of stuff that leads me to believe that this might not be the safest holiday destination.

Are there any areas that are safer? Where are they?
                Do NOT go to Mexico. Not even tourist destinations are safe. Go to Puerto Rico or the Virgin Islands.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

It's not as bad as most people claim it is.

Just:

1) Don't go to the North
                  2) Avoid traveling long distances on regional roads
                  3) Don't hire a cab from the street in the largest cities (Guadalajara, Monterrey, Mexico)

Hire a teacher and learn some Spanish basics. It will help you tremendously.
                  In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

There are many places with beaches just as good as Mexico, the issue is that other places don't have "wild parties" like those you find in Cancún. And Mexico also has very cool ruins, if you care about History.
                    I need a foot massage

Comment

I would love to see some of the history, but I doubt we will go traipsing around the country.

It's more of a fun in the sun break from what looks to become a pretty severe Canadian winter.

The person I would be going with knows people in the area (she lived there for a time) and we would be sticking to a tourist area. Not going anywhere near the border on roads.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                        I would love to see some of the history, but I doubt we will go traipsing around the country.

It's more of a fun in the sun break from what looks to become a pretty severe Canadian winter.

The person I would be going with knows people in the area (she lived there for a time) and we would be stiking to a tourist area. Not going anywhere near the border on roads.
                        Then you have nothing to worry about. Just enjoy yourself.

Comment

Amongst a few other things:

I presume that you will be going to the tropical south. If so, there are a lot of ruins you could see in a day trip from your beach hotel.

I live in Mexico right now, and plan to be traveling around during my holidays. If our schedules coincide, I'll be happy to meet you.

Comment

That would be great, except we'd be going to a resort in Baja.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

if you´re going to a resort, you could be in anytown anywhere. them fenced camps are so generic.. why bother flying all the way to mexico?

Comment

Working...
                              X