In my country, when seeking empoloyment, the employer will
    often ask of potential employee to take out a note/confirmation
    from the judiciary that states that such and such has never been
    punished by a court.

This is not a big deal practically... there's an office, you go there,
    they give you a piece of paper.

I'm interested to hear how this works in other countries. Is this
    type of thing often required by employers? If so, does the HR of
    the employer take care of it or is the candidate required to do so?

Not all employers require it. I had to get one for my job because I needed clearance to be in public and private schools to sit in on classes, interact with the kids, etc.

The schools obviously require full background checks before granting such access.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

HR.
      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Criminal records are public, right?

Comment

The prospective employee doesn't do the legwork, though. The employer does it by using firms that specialize in background checks.
          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Some embassies require this for immigration, but employers here do their checks themselves.
            Graffiti in a public toilet
            Do not require skill or wit
            Among the **** we all are poets
            Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

We have this here. Although it is not required by all employers.
              Also usually the employee has to provide the paper.
              Quendelie axan!

Comment

I have never had one, but I should probably go about talking to the Swedish authorities here to get a report before I leave.

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

In the UK I believe they can only ask for a background check if you're going to be working on sensitive government stuff or are going to be working with kids. Could be wrong, but I think that's the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                    I have never had one, but I should probably go about talking to the Swedish authorities here to get a report before I leave.

JM

Webbplats för polisen i Sverige. Gör polisanmälan och tipsa polisen. Vid pågående brott – ring 112. Hitta adresser och öppettider för polisstationer. Information om passansökan.

Just scan the completed form and e-mail it. And don't forget to pay the processing fee.
                    The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

no proof needed generally, you just sign that you do not have a criminal record, and that's it... in UK (if anyone wants to check it, it would be HR, but in normal companies they prefer to waste time in other ways).
                      Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion View Post
                        In my country, when seeking empoloyment, the employer will
                        often ask of potential employee to take out a note/confirmation
                        from the judiciary that states that such and such has never been
                        punished by a court.

This is not a big deal practically... there's an office, you go there,
                        they give you a piece of paper.

I'm interested to hear how this works in other countries. Is this
                        type of thing often required by employers? If so, does the HR of
                        the employer take care of it or is the candidate required to do so?
                        Every time i submit a work application, a background and criminal check is done on me. Go figure! they should share notes.

Comment

Every application for me, as well. What jobs don't require it?
                          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Every job I have applied for has not required it, I think.

I have worked as a:
                            1. paper boy and lawn care/janitor for the local church
                            3. various at a cannery
                            4. dishwasher at a small town (local) pizzeria
                            5. computer lab 'sitter', security, teaching assistant/tutor, and grounds worker at a private college
                            6. internship for the forestry service attempting to service some of their old fortran code
                            7. research internship at indiana cyclotron facility
                            8. teaching assistant at a university
                            9. research assistant at a university/national lab
                            10. postdoc at a foreign university

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                              Every job I have applied for, I think.

JM
                              I think they do the background check, you're just not aware of it. You sign a piece of paper on your employment paperwork and they do it. In many jobs, oddly enough, you start working before the background check clears. I'm speaking of America, of course.

Comment

Working...
                              X