Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many generations since your last peasant/farmer ancestor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My paternal grandfather and grandmother were farmers.
    And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
      My grandma on my mother's side grew up on a farm.
      +1
      Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
      1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
        Plantation owner != peasant farmer!
        Sure they do. They plow someone else's the field, planting their seed. (They will later on deny it's their seed.) After "harvest", they go sale at market. (Again denying that it's their crop.)

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
          That seed might make good fertilizer in small amounts.
          Usually fertility is reduced in small amounts.

Comment

I'm actually surprised now that I think of it that my recent ancestors weren't really farmers. Three of my grandparents where factory workers thought they also all kept chickens, had gardens and even a field. My great grandfather was a blacksmith, my other great grandfather was a farmer.

Also after reading GRRMs works again I can't help but also point out my grandfather was a bastard, literally.
            Last edited by Heraclitus; August 19, 2011, 05:04.
            Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
            The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
            The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

One grandfather grew up on a farm but eventually became a clerk, the other grandfather grew up in a lumber camp but eventually became an engineer, so my last peasant ancestor was either my grandfather or my great-grandfather depending on how you measure it (the lumberjack great-grandfather eventually became a hotel manager, but the farmer great-grandfather was a farmer his entire life). I forget my grandmothers' parents' professions, but I'm pretty sure that my grandmothers were city girls for most/all of their life (my grandmother used to tell horror stories about the food at the lumber camp when she'd visited my grandfather prior to getting married).
              <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

My sister and brother-in-law farm and ranch. My nephew has his own farm, mixed livestock and grain. I also have a cousin who along with one of his sons farm grain. None of the above would be considered peasants though.

The last 'peasant farmer' type would probably be my mother's, mother's mother, who was a servant on a rural estate.
                Last edited by Uncle Sparky; August 19, 2011, 15:08.
                There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Grandparents from both sides were peasants. They owned their land, but it's a poor region
                  so they weren't rich. Father and Mother went to university, finished, met, got married.
                  Out of my siblings I'm the only one who hasn't finished uni. If I go farming again it will be a
                  full circle

Comment

Working...
                  X