Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is there any reason not to have a negative balance on my credit card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is there any reason not to have a negative balance on my credit card?

I discovered by accident that this was possible; nothing bad seems to have happened. Is there any reason not to make some fairly large transfer from my checking account to my credit card, essentially turning it into a secured card that pays rewards? Will BoA get made at me?

They're going to give you a refund check after 30 days or something with a negative balance. At least Citibank does.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I think that Kuci has started to experiment with ethanol
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
        They're going to give you a refund check after 30 days or something with a negative balance. At least Citibank does.
        LAME.

Comment

Umm, how about the fact that you don't earn interest on that money, while you could in a MMA or something? Not much obviously in this environment, but still... just auto-pay your full balance every month from said large account.
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Yeah I don't see the point in having your own self-made secured card. You're also reducing your cash on the (granted, extremely rare chance nowadays unless you engage in illegal activity) chance that you will need quick cash.
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
              Umm, how about the fact that you don't earn interest on that money, while you could in a MMA or something? Not much obviously in this environment, but still... just auto-pay your full balance every month from said large account.
              It wouldn't be earning interest anyway, it's in my checking account. And I'd rather just... not have to worry about whether I've clicked the button the website on the right day.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                Yeah I don't see the point in having your own self-made secured card.
                I don't actually want credit at all. I'm just doing it for the rewards program and because of the ridiculous way credit scores work. If I could have gotten the same card with all the same features except that it debited my checking account I would have done so.

You're also reducing your cash on the (granted, extremely rare chance nowadays unless you engage in illegal activity) chance that you will need quick cash.
                Let's just say that I already have more than enough liquidity already.

Comment

Why do you not want credit?

Comment

Because I have no possible use for it?

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
                      Because I have no possible use for it?

I'm not following. It can afford you flexibility and showing a history of borrowing and making timely payments makes you more attractive to lend money to, in the future, when you do have need to borrow money.

Comment

1. As I said, one of the two reasons I have one is so that I can do the ridiculous "building up a credit rating" thing.

2. I have absolutely no possible shortage of liquidity along any time horizon.

Comment

It's a 30-day short term interest-free loan. Why would you not want that?

Just pay it off 100% every month.

I just do not see an issue...
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post

I'm reading how he keeps saying "I have absolutely no possible shortage of liquidity along any time horizon" and I'm like, whatever, rich ****.

He doesn't want to have credit because he's rich or some ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post

1. Every time I pay it off the bank takes a while to show the transfer actually happening. This always worries me.

2. I'm paranoid about my own forgetfulness.

Comment

Working...
                              X