No announcement yet.

I'm attending a Baptist church tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are probably greater differences from church to church in a denomination than there are between some churches outside of denominations.

There are very few protestants who don't identify as Christian first and their denomination second, at least in the US. This includes even the majority of my own church (SDA) which has a history of remnant theology (thinking that it is the remnant of Christianity/true church/etc).

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Truth! And, in most Protestantism, conservative churchs have more in common with other conservative churches, and liberal churches have more in common with other liberal churches, regardless of denomination (thougth denominations may have very different views of liturgy - compare an Episcopal Church to a Pentecostal one).
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by dannubis View Post
        As long as they fit with your own political/ethical belief system everything is fine no doubt.
        I'm assuming that you mean the Bible. I don't have a belief system
        Such a thing is sin. I just follow Jesus.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
          There are probably greater differences from church to church in a denomination than there are between some churches outside of denominations.

There are very few protestants who don't identify as Christian first and their denomination second, at least in the US. This includes even the majority of my own church (SDA) which has a history of remnant theology (thinking that it is the remnant of Christianity/true church/etc).

JM
          There are some issues that cause some people to identify with a denomination.

Comment

I want to be a member of a church where you can quote any verse in the Bible without seeing that
            people are offended by it. I've seen that even Baptists get offended by certain verses. They don't
            admit it but you can see it on their face. If you are filled by the Holy Spirit how can you be offended
            by the word of God?

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
              I want to be a member of a church where you can quote any verse in the Bible without seeing that
              people are offended by it.

Some favourites:

"I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man. She must be quiet." (1 Timothy 2:12)

"Go, now, attack Amalek, and deal with him and all that he has under the ban. Do not spare him, but kill men and women, children and infants, oxen and sheep, camels and asses." (1 Samuel 15:3)

"Wives should be subordinate to their husbands as to the Lord." (Ephesians 5:22)

"Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse." (1 Peter 2:18)

"If two men, a man and his countryman, are struggling together, and the wife of one comes near to deliver her husband from the hand of the one who is striking him, and puts out her hand and seizes his genitals, then you shall cut off her hand; you shall not show pity." (Deuteronomy 25:11)
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I don't kill women and children yet none of those verses offend me.

Comment

I'm shocked a man would not be offended by that.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

seizes his genitals
                    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                      I'm shocked a man would not be offended by that.
                      That's understandable since, not being filled with the Holy Spirit, you shouldn't understand any of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                        seizes his genitals
                        SHOW NO PITY as well. To show pity is to be unChristian.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                          That's understandable since, not being filled with the Holy Spirit, you shouldn't understand any of it.
                          I bet I could beat you up.

Comment

What if his wife seized your genitals though?

Comment

I guess some people don't even read very well.

Comment

Working...
                              X