No announcement yet.

Texas Rep. Ron Paul to retire from Congress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right because political strategy is always highlight your glaring weaknesses. If he was truly tired of office he simply would have quietly not run, rather than trumpeting his position as a matter of principle.

I mean seriously are you on meds now?
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Ogie, the guy will be 80 years old. If he survives that long. At a certain point in time it is wise to step aside and let the next younger "generation" take charge. He had his chance. And he seems to have missed it.
      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe View Post
        Right because political strategy is always highlight your glaring weaknesses. If he was truly tired of office he simply would have quietly not run, rather than trumpeting his position as a matter of principle.

I mean seriously are you on meds now?
        Simply retiring would make sense. Nothing about Ron Paul's runs for the presidency make sense, unless he's simply trying to get his views out there, which is why no one thinks he's a serious candidate. Seriously if someone stands a chance at becoming president, holding onto their congressional seat where they got 80% of the vote last election isn't going to divert very many resources from their run for president. You don't have to be "off your meds" to think Ron Paul is probably tired of congress. However a need of medication might explain why someone would fly off the handle if someone else claims a 76-year-old plans to retire from his job because he is too tired.

Comment

Hey I'm no Paul fan and would not vote for him. But seriously why would anyone as smart as Paul supposedly is allow himself to highlight a glaring weakness (his age) in such a fashion. He could simply decide not to run for congress if truly too tired. Why is his given reason not taken at face value given the long history of Paul standing on principle.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Running for president is the easiest way to spread his opinions. He obviously doesn't care very much about actually getting the political office at this point, which is why he wants to focus on a campaign that will attract national attention. A serious politician wouldn't just give up a congressional seat they can easily hold.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
              Yeah, I don't know how fit he is, but that is really old.

And the President is a harsh job. Look at how it aged Bush/Clinton.

JM
              Hell, look at how it aged Reagan!
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Or Kennedy.
                Blah

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                  Running for president is the easiest way to spread his opinions. He obviously doesn't care very much about actually getting the political office at this point, which is why he wants to focus on a campaign that will attract national attention. A serious politician wouldn't just give up a congressional seat they can easily hold.
                  Already addressed. Next arguement.

You truly are a ****. If you think Paul isn't truly comitted to the endeavor of running for president. Every candidate that goes into the race assumes they have legitimate shot at the presidency however deulded that prospect actually may be.

Comment

Actually you haven't addressed my "arguement". You just made a bald assertion that no one would run for president if they didn't think they had a chance of winning. I guess you think Stephen Colbert thought he could win.

Comment

Working...
                    X