The case for polygamy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
    Outside of that more than two people issue.
    The two-person rule in a "traditional*" marriage is just as arbitrary as the requirement for different genders.

Spoiler:
    * Traditional in the modern Western sense, given that polygamy has been practiced historically by many different culture around the world.

Comment

C.f. Mormons. The idea of legal polygamy in the United States is not terribly outrageous given the idea that we should have gay marriage has become so popular. I don't think that opposition to gay marriage on the grounds that it opens to door to polygamy is ridiculous at all.
      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

I agree it is traditional.

I disagree that tradition is the only reason it retains importance.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Well, no one's ever accused you of being an insightful thinker.

Comment

I'm not seeing your case for a similar claim either.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

What an awkwardly worded comeback...

Comment

If English were not such a blunt instrument in your hands I'd take offence.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                  ehh... not really. There's a big difference between clandestine adultery and a polygamous marriage to which all parties involved agree to.
                  Irrelevant to my statement. If Josiah is shacked up on the compound with Mary, Marie and their 3 sisters what difference does it make if they have a legal marriage licence or not? (Hint: the only good answer to that is that in the second case Mary, Marie, and their 3 sisters still qualify for welfare.)

Comment

The point is that having it legal does provide societal support. That is why gay marriage should be legal... otherwise we could be saying "bob and steve can just shack up anyway, all we are talking about is welfare/etc".

No.

I expect (and hope and it is the reason why I support it) that with gay marriage that there will be more long term homosexual relationships.

I recognize that there are polygamous relationships, but I want less.

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                      Bigotry...

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                        I don't think that opposition to gay marriage on the grounds that it opens to door to polygamy is ridiculous at all.
                        a) why would it matter if people wanted to allow polygamy? You're the one to decide how everyone else has to live their life?
                        b) it is ridiculous logic that could just as easily be applied to heterosexual marriage, karaoke bars, and babies.

Comment

To wit: If we don't allow any more babies we can be sure there won't be POLYGAMY in the future!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post

Are you assuming that all sorts of adult-love relationships between more than two people are harmful?
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

... and why are the posts by that spambot still around?
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)

Comment

I banned him.

JM
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN
                                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                                X