No announcement yet.

Prince Won't Record New Music Until Internet Piracy Under Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your perception of quality music disgusts me, Thoth. But that's nothing new.

I really had no idea Prince was so divisive. I thought everyone liked Prince... that he's one of those universally popular artists. Go figure.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
      Your perception of quality music disgusts me, Thoth. But that's nothing new.

I really had no idea Prince was so divisive. I thought everyone liked Prince... that he's one of those universally popular artists. Go figure.

Get out of Philly someday.

Prince isn't diversive, he just sucks festering donkey balls.
      Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
      I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

And yet several people in this very thread (none of whom live in Philly) have called him a genius. He clearly couldn't be that bad.
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Prince

Susanna Hoffs

Comment

And yet several people in this very thread (none of whom live in Philly) have called him a genius. He clearly couldn't be that bad.

Claiming that Prince is anything other than a self-indulgent whack job won't get you very far.

The putz has mad a lot of money from gits with no musical taste but that doesn't mean he actually has any talent beyond entertaining morons and those who think McDonalds is good food. (yes, I know, those two sets intersect)
            Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
            I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas View Post
              Musicians can always play live
              I haven't read all the thread but - I utterly despise this retarded argument that seeks to legitimise the freeloading of recorded music.

It's like a boss saying 'you get paid for your work on monday and tuesday so I won't pay you for your work on the rest of the week'. Pure slavery.

Dip****s without the faintest idea how hard it is to make money on live music if you're not playing to huge audiences justify their policy of never buying recorded music while telling musicians to forget any family life they might otherwise have and live on the road and in hotel rooms hoping to scratch a living. Developing music is expensive and requires hundreds of hours rehearsal.

I don't object to people enjoying a limited amount of free stuff that they wouldn't otherwise have bought, and certainly not for commercially unavailable or stuff they've already bought, and I understand that the marginal cost of a single unit downloaded is close to zero once it has been made, but are drug companies expected to give away everything at cost, or are they allowed to recoup their development costs?

Music is many, many times cheaper than it was in decades past, but still people resent paying musicians for it. It disgusts me, as do the lame, cheap, self-serving arguments that people come up with to justify their greed. "But they enjoy it, it should just be a hobby" is particularly repellent.

Comment

Are you appealing to popularity or something? The Backstreet Boys sold plenty of records and I still think they suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoth View Post

Claiming that Prince is anything other than a self-indulgent whack job won't get you very far.

The putz has mad a lot of money from gits with no musical taste but that doesn't mean he actually has any talent
                  Jesus, you're a ****ing Philistine...

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                    Are you appealing to popularity or something? The Backstreet Boys sold plenty of records and I still think they suck.
                    Not relevant. The people who like Prince are/were not teenage girls, the worst demographic to use as the judges of anything. My point is that Prince can't be incredibly terrible as Thoth claims if you have reasonable, intelligent, well-acquainted-with-music people from diverse backgrounds claiming his greatness. As you pulled up yourself, Prince was not only commercially successful but critically acclaimed.

However, I will say I'd much rather listen to the Backstreet Boys than the trash that Thoth likes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                      Not relevant. The people who like Prince are/were not teenage girls, the worst demographic to use as the judges of anything. My point is that Prince can't be incredibly terrible as Thoth claims if you have reasonable, intelligent, well-acquainted-with-music people from diverse backgrounds claiming his greatness. As you pulled up yourself, Prince was not only commercially successful but critically acclaimed.

However, I will say I'd much rather listen to the Backstreet Boys than the trash that Thoth likes.
                      Yeah, no surprise a misogynist like yourself would base his argument on denigrating women.

Comment

• i mostly agree with cort, too many people want something for nothing and then hide behind a wall of platitudes to try to disguise this fact.
                        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• I don't get this:

Rolling Stone magazine ranked it the second-best album of the 1980s and 72nd on their list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. Z
                          How is the 2nd best album of the 80's only 72nd all-time?

The 80's were a fantastic time in music. Prince, Michael Jackson, Lionel Ritchie, Debarge, Stevie Wonder, Luther Vandross, Teddy Pendergrass, Hall & Oates, Rick James, Freddie Jackson, Sade, Whitney Houston, Tina Turner, Janet Jackson, Anita Baker, Teena Marie, Shalamar, New Edition, Jodeci... oh my god the list goes on forever... and it was also the decade that hip hop developed into an artform and all the associated acts of the decade.

The 80's were an incredible time in music.

Comment

• Rolling Stone Magazine loves the 60's and I'm guessing those lists were not compiled at the same time, so there would have been time for opinions to change somewhat.

Comment

• the 80s were a great time for music (though not because of the artists al mentioned!), but then so were the 50s, 60s, 70s, 90s, 2000s etc.
                              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                                How is the 2nd best album of the 80's only 72nd all-time?
                                Rolling Stone is a magazine for white Baby Boomers, so it's no surprise they would unduly favor the 60's and 70's.

Comment

Working...
                                X