Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engaged now I am - future advice? (business related)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engaged now I am - future advice? (business related)

Actually, two days ago, I got engaged. We are supposed to get married on summer 2013.

It's been a huge year or two in terms of events. Serious illness, first child, moved to another city, now engaged, and stressed out a lot, scared, tired, burned out, happy at times, it's been a ride! Wouldn't trade it for anything though.

I'm on my way to full recovery in terms of happiness and mental strength. I've come to a realization that is painful but it feels true. I want your input on it, you know me for my long rants but I'm in a difficult position and I would appreciate your experience and wisdom that I've had the opportunity to enjoy before. In short, the issue is, I need to stabilize our household economy and in order to do that, it looks like I have to give up my business. I try to be as short as possible.

So I've started my current professional journey in 2004, still as a student, started to work hard in order to be an expert of a field (information security) in an area that was missing input and expertise, and also answers to many questions (employee issues). I couldn't go anywhere, since there are only few companies in this country that occupy generally these issue in a very vague manner. So I decided to study even harder, take ****ty University jobs that don't pay in order to ensure my position as a doctorate student in the place I wanted to be in. I worked really hard. I laid a 10 year plan. It was the first long term plan I had ever thought about but I was passionate, like someone wants to be a neurosurgeon, there are steps you need to take and it takes a long time, right?

Well this was not neurosurgery, but similarly a path that takes a long time since the area of expertise has to be sort of made. It isn't there even today, there were no good books about the subject either, no good courses, and practitioners seemed to be missing the key as well. So I went into research, again, minimum wage, now a bit into debt myself, I go and study the area, research it. The whole research thing was quite fun, albeit not profitable, and now I was ready to launch my own business with newly made connections. I had partners, I had an existing customer. I had a director in one of the biggest companies in here that actively talked about acquisition and wanting to buy the company. Everything was great. I had people interested from almost all sectors of public side, including heavily security intense parties. 99% liked the approach and product we were about to launch. A dream come true, right? Big plans. Born global. Maybe we'll end up somewhere in between, but even that would be good. Even a mediocre result would be quite awesome.

But we've experienced big pitfalls as of lately. Even though we are finally making our mark, we are still small, with too much overhead, and I'm barely even paying myself. I'm now engaged about to be married with a child, and my SO isn't working at the moment but starting a new career from scratch and beginning studies for it. So I'm the bread winner for quite a few years to come. My only chance is an early exit but even that would be 4-5 years from now at least (to make it worth our effort). I'm basically broke. I can pay our rent and utilities, but I can't do much else. I'm running with a huge risk, if I get sick again (which is a real possibility, unfortunately), we are quite truly ****ed. Any financial or other crisis will sink this boat.

So... I've had to think really hard. I have passion for our customers' issues, but as of now, we have only passive owners who are not living up to their words of what we were supposed to do as A TEAM. If we look at the roadmap, we are nowhere near where we are supposed to be. That means we will experience difficult times this Fall and a quarter or two into the next year. After that it starts to look good again, but I can't go without pay for half a year or lower my salary.

I would be more willing to take the continued risk for high yield but my biggest problem is our team. Now, everyone is good individually, but as a team there's no value added. Nobody has brought new customers for a while and nobody is delivering any services at the moment except for myself. This is not tooting my own horn, I'm saying we're ****ed and with this current team we aren't going to be a functioning company, nor can we follow the roadmap in the near future either. Biggest point is this: the game has changed. I have to take care of other people as well.

The story was quite long but the road to here has been long. It was planned a long time ago, and it succeeded until now. The work was systematic, pain in the ass most of the times and basically very bad financially personally for the big price at the end. I was doing it old school basically and it was, retrospectively, not the best idea.

So... now I'm looking at jobs ads. Man it sucks. I need a job! I do feel like a failure with this. It sucks even more because I think I have to cut losses at the wrong time, I honestly think so. But I have no choices. I don't even know what kind of a job I would even apply for. Information security? Or some generic IT job? But I do need a job quite fast so I can't be very picky about it. Also, employers in here don't like to pay their employees, even less when they have some real relevant experience. I've had quite a few job interviews during my time as an entrepreneuer, but they were mostly for "let's see if they'll let me do this 3 days a week and devote 2 for my own company" or to leverage the position of my company, or to sell my service via my company. One attempt was serious, I was even offered the job but I had to refuse because I felt I couldn't get along with the future boss very well. Nothing wrong with him, but I was in a position where I could choose between comfortable and even more comfortable so I just said no thank you. Now of course I regret that decision.

What should I do? This is actually quite hard, but I feel like I need to let go. This is way too stressful, the price is too low, and I'd be chasing the future evaluation for an exit like an addict is chasing the dragon. But I'm this type of a person, I care about certain things, about ways of doing things, so just getting a job is weird. But I need the money, I need steady income and I need career prospects. I don't want to start from scratch, but then again working some IT job right now would feel like whoring. So I'd need a good position (hard to come by in this little country, even with experience), or to change the field completely. Sell mattresses or something. I don't know what to do, all I know is that I need to do it now or we're screwed in Fall. I'm ready for drastic changes as well, as long as it's a challenge, and pays. I can't do wars.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

To continue, it bothers me that we have a perfectly good plan, we have done a lot of ground work and now it seems to fade away mystically. The point is, I've been the driving force for this company and I don't have any resources left so I can't live. I'm not being sissy about it, I mean there is absoutely 0 euros left for me after rent and food and utilities, I can't buy any service or anything else that would be considered a necessity, let alone do something with my family. It is no way to live, not anymore. I've paid my dues, this is when it has to start happening.

So it sucks if I get some menial job somewhere, thinking of all the cool things we could be doing, and how profitable they could be. Things could be worse. Many things though, so many things I've just added to this stack of hurt, thinking it's worth at the end. Now the stack is still there. The end isn't.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Congratulations!
      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
      We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
        Congratulations!
        Thanks

Oh and what I just complained about in the OP and afterwards, it might be difficult for many to understand. But I've never had a job. I've always had a dream, and I've always worked towards that very spesific dream. Not just "oh meet cool people and like not worry and stuff", but damn hard work, read everything on the subject, write an article in this magazine, get interviewed by that person, get to know these people and so forth. Painstaking work but for a dream; I never had a job. I cannot explain it to you. It's emotional and it's so many sacrifices that it sort of makes no sense anymore. It's like wanting to be a pro boxer, you had a pretty good run but when it was all over all you had was damaged brain and no one remembers any of your fights, just mumbling away in some bar grabbing peopel and saying "hey you remember me?" and they're like don't touch me. Yeah. That's what it's like.

Oh yeah! This is all related to the fact that I'm about to get married, which is of course a happy occasion

But I can't be broke, irresponsible dreamer anymore, chasing the entrepreneuer's dragon
        In da butt.

Comment

oh damn I sound like a self centered little ***** with his little problems.

This is, however, a process of letting go of what materially counts to me the most, not to even mention years of hard work.

It is for the better of what is right. Just need to do the right thing here. For the people I truly care about, and that's more than myself.
          In da butt.

Comment

Congratualations Pekka on the engagement!

Comment

Congrats on the engagement. I would recommend that you continue to chase the dream. Don't settle. If you do, you'll regret it later.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                Congrats on the engagement. I would recommend that you continue to chase the dream. Don't settle. If you do, you'll regret it later.
                I know... I think the only thing left for me is to get a loan for living expenses (which by default is a bad idea). I'm sort of talking myself out of it but I don't know what to do. I think I won't be happy with a job. Jobs have limits everywhere. Then again I have to pay for stuff. Nggh! unno:
                In da butt.

Comment

Don't get a loan for living expenses.

Why isn't anyone else on the team going out, getting new business and delivering stuff? Kick some ass! Let them know if they don't there will be no team.
                  Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

congrats on the engagement

mike is right, demand more from your 'team', what are they doing if not finding new customers or delivering services?! point out the consequences.
                    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
                      congrats on the engagement

mike is right, demand more from your 'team', what are they doing if not finding new customers or delivering services?! point out the consequences.
                      Nothing much I can do about it. The rest of the team have stock. And other sources of income. Most of them are above middle range in income and do not have to worry about it. Yeah, they say "we must fix the cash flow to help you out of this situation" and that's about it. It's always nice words, but few weeks later, nothing has changed. I have like one guy who is doing things but he is more back line support anyway. The rest? Just passive owners these days. Lots of talk, lots of other fires to be put out. Sometimes I don't even get a hold of a person for days, except for the trusted back line support guy, who is the brains of the operation anyway and valuable.

When some of us leave with a car and I say no thanks, I don't need a ride because I have my bicycle, it really means that at the moment I'm cutting overhead so much from my personal expenses that I can't even afford the bus ride. This is in fact true. And that's OK too, but I work really hard and take risks, the minimum expectation is that owners do what we agreed everyone to do and use their connections, set up more meetings in more segments, spread the word and all that good stuff. Freaking nothing this year. And then they just are "worried about my income". That's kind of like shooting someone in the face and saying "I'm worried about your face".
                      In da butt.

Comment

ah, well that makes it more complicated. perhaps saying to these people "look, we had an agreement and because you guys are not doing your part, i'm having difficulties. i'm going to find another job, because i need money to support myself and my family. so unless the situation changes, now or sooner, we can all wave goodbye to the company." maybe that will motivate them to do something. or not, i don't know, you're best placed to judge.

it would truly suck if you had to abandon your dream, and normally i would say don't give up, don't lets these punks beat you, but you have other people to think about as well. even if a job sucks somewhat, you will at least be happy because you can provide for your family and give them security.
                        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

and nothing to stop you coming back when your wife is making money in her new career and starting another company, where you can learn from the mistakes this time about the team and the way it's set up.
                          We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                            Congratulations!
                            This.
                            QFT.
                            ^^^^^^

Also, congratulations.
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

pekka, congrats!

also, there's a thread down here wherein one individual claims that all women are the same. could you comment on that to that poster in relation to getting engaged?

Comment

Working...
                              X