Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Docfeelgood View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photosynthesis

I am really out of ****ing touch with modern science!!!
    Modern science?

The endosymbiotic (from the Greek: endo- meaning inside and -symbiosis meaning cohabiting) theory was first articulated by the Russian botanist Konstantin Mereschkowski in 1905.[1] Mereschkowski was familiar with work by botanist Andreas Schimper, who had observed in 1883 that the division of chloroplasts in green plants closely resembled that of free-living cyanobacteria, and who had himself tentatively proposed (in a footnote) that green plants had arisen from a symbiotic union of two organisms.[2] Ivan Wallin extended the idea of an endosymbiotic origin to mitochondria in the 1920s.[3]
    1883! The idea was just a footnote until the 1960's, though. That's still 50 years ago...
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Hurray for wiki-****ing-pedia.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
        Modern science?

1883! The idea was just a footnote until the 1960's, though. That's still 50 years ago...
        You just wait till your old and see how much you have learned has changed

Comment

Seems I vaguely remember this being discussed. Then again I really don't remember to much of anything these days.

Comment

Speaking of memory..... How far back can you remember your classmates names? Or your teachers?

Comment

You just hop and skip from one topic to another, don't ya?
              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I'm a little surprised a nurse doesn't have a basic grasp of biology.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post

Plant life is a branch. But if you want specifics, there was probably a lifeform way back when that was able to eat cyanobacteria and use it as proto-chloroplasts.
                  Some of us still do.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                    I'm a little surprised a nurse doesn't have a basic grasp of biology.
                    and some wonder why I act like an assh0le.
                    I don't even remember the phylum. If you don't use this information in over 30 years you lose it.
                    I have a AS in biology. How much do I remember? very ****ing little.
                    Last edited by Docfeelgood; June 23, 2011, 21:25.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                      You just hop and skip from one topic to another, don't ya?
                      yea, seem to be doing that a lot lately
                      As my point to memory loss not using it every day.

Comment

Gribbler you piss me the **** off! I try to make conversation and be sociable but you make me want to just go back to name calling.

Comment

Gribbler you piss me the **** off! I try to make conversation and be sociable but you make me want to just go back to name calling.
                          that's because gribbler is a ****ing *******
                          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Could you explain what name I called you? I don't think there's any shame in being a nurse.

Comment

Delayed reaction...
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                                Modern science?

Yeah, but this isn't what endosymbiotic theory is about. It is about that many organelles (chloroplasts, mitochondria) actually came into being through a symbiotic relationship between then prokaryotic cells and these organisms resulting, eventually, in the modern eukaryotic cell. But yeah, microscopy is quite an old science.
                                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                                X