Transiting the Sun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
    Right. So, closer to 147 km/s across Earth's surface, meaning it will last 2 hours and 37 minutes. Which is Perfection's result (coincidentally?). Which KH says is crap.
    You're both forgetting something very basic...
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I like how KH is an ******* who doesn't just come out and say what's missing. He does this all the time. We're not in school.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Last edited by Al B. Sure!; June 14, 2011, 20:36.
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
          I like how KH is an ******* who doesn't just come out and say what's missing. He does this all the time. We're not in school.
          I like how you still post even if you have nothing to contribute.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
            I like how you still post even if you have nothing to contribute.
            I like how you do that exact same thing. Right here in this very thread in fact!

Here

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
              I like how you do that exact same thing. Right here in this very thread in fact!

Here
              If your only response is to claim I'm doing the same thing, I think that's a tacit admission on your part that you really don't have anything to contribute.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                If your only response is to claim I'm doing the same thing, I think that's a tacit admission on your part that you really don't have anything to contribute.
                You don't either, *******.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                  So, it's not actually a circle. I found that when I attempted to explain the concept to my friends, they had absolutely no idea what I was trying to describe until I drew a picture in Paint. But I thought of an analogy that works rather well. If the Sun is an eyeball, my object is an opaque contact lens. Now, the lens isn't directly on the Sun's surface; it's far enough away so that it has a ~60 day orbit, and it's tidally locked so that the concave side is always facing the Sun.

So, along with wanting to know how long each "eclipse" would last from the perspective of the Earth, I also want to know how far away the object would have to be from the Sun to have a 60 day, roughly circular orbit.
                  Mercury has an 88 day orbit so a little closer than that. Also, just change mercury's orbit for convience if it is messing with your disc.

Comment

Originally posted by Whoha View Post
                    Mercury has an 88 day orbit so a little closer than that.
                    Mercury has a pretty high eccentricity.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                      PUT UP OR SHUT UP.
                      APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

Quite likely, given that I haven't taken a math or science class in 8 years. I've done a fair bit of research on this already, but that's only going to get me so far. And that's why, eventually, I seek out experts...
                        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

All right, now I just feel bad about this.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Perfection View Post
                            PUT UP OR SHUT UP.
                            Learn how to manipulate fractions first.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Duh, you're smarter than I am and know way more about science and math than I do. But I am actually a pretty smart guy all around, and I try very hard to undo my own ignorance when I'm confronted with it. Tell me what I'm forgetting, or give me a hint, and I can probably figure things out for myself.
                              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Shame on you.
                                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                                X