No announcement yet.

Transiting the Sun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I not speaking English correctly again? A compact storage device for symbols that make up words that make up stories that others might read and enjoy. I believe the Romans called the device liber, if that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
      orientation of the circle is important
      So God is using a magnifying glass to fry ants/people on the earth?
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by Kitschum View Post
        Am I not speaking English correctly again? A compact storage device for symbols that make up words that make up stories that others might read and enjoy. I believe the Romans called the device liber, if that helps.
        You must mean a Kindle.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
          I found a formula on Wikipedia and came up with an answer of 45 million kilometers. Is that anywhere close to being accurate?
          Probably, but note that Mercury's perihelion is around there.

SP
          I got the Jete from C.C. Sabathia. : Jon Miller

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
            So God is using a magnifying glass to fry ants/people on the earth?
            It's opaque. Clearly God is actually trying to freeze the ants/people on the earth.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Fve Crathva View Post
              Probably, but note that Mercury's perihelion is around there.

SP
              Yeah, I noticed that. I may have to make its orbit slightly shorter. Stupid Mercury and its stupid highly elliptical orbit.

Comment

Put solar panels on it and you can solve our energy problems at the same time you solve global warming.....
                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Solve global warming? Bah! Seems like an awful lot of effort just to cool the Earth. Couldn't you "just" shift the Moon's orbit so that it's on the same plane as the Earth and the Sun, giving us a lot more eclipses? (I have no idea if this would affect the Earth in any way.)

Comment

Is it the same actual diameter as the sun, or the same angular diameter, as viewed from Earth?
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Same actual diameter as the Sun, but it's very close to it, so it would only be a little larger than the Sun from the Earth, I'd think.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                        I'm sure, but that's not the important part for my purposes.
                        Don't come crying to me when your giant disk falls apart.
                        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

If you could give me some sciencey sounding words as to why it could potentially fall apart, that would be rad.

Comment

What's wrong with the words he gave you: "The tidal stresses on the object you are postulating are ridiculous."
                            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                            We've got both kinds

Comment

That's good, yeah, but it's just one sciencey term: tidal stresses.

Comment

and postulating!
                                Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                                We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                                X