Transiting the Sun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transiting the Sun

Okay. Let's say you've got a circle the diameter of the Sun and positioned so that it orbits the Sun once every two months. The circle blocks visible light and it's more or less on the plane of the ecliptic. What does this look like to Earth? That is, how long will each transit last, how often will transits occur (once every two months?), etc. Hopefully you'll all be more useful than you were in my last thread, dammit.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

So presuming perfect alignment and circular orbits of both Earth and the object and that Earth and the object orbit in the same direction in the same plane, and defining a month as exactly 1/12 of a year the transits will occur every 1/5 of a year (73 days).

I will try to calculate transit length next...
    APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
      What does this look like to Earth?

Dark, occasionally.
      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Between this random question, the name for a Texas that conquers Mexico, and the rice farming with clones, Lorizael is either working on some bizarre piece of fiction or is ****ing insane.
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
          Between this random question, the name for a Texas that conquers Mexico, and the rice farming with clones, Lorizael is either working on some bizarre piece of fiction or is ****ing insane.
          Note that those are not mutually exclusive options.
          Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
          I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
            Dark(er), occasionally.
            Fixed. It would probably look like a solar eclipse.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
              Yes.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Perfection View Post
                So presuming perfect alignment and circular orbits of both Earth and the object and that Earth and the object orbit in the same direction in the same plane, and defining a month as exactly 1/12 of a year the transits will occur every 1/5 of a year (73 days).

I will try to calculate transit length next...
                irl people came up with the same answer. Thanks!

Comment

The tidal stresses on the object you are postulating are ridiculous.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'm sure, but that's not the important part for my purposes.

Comment

orientation of the circle is important
                      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

So, it's not actually a circle. I found that when I attempted to explain the concept to my friends, they had absolutely no idea what I was trying to describe until I drew a picture in Paint. But I thought of an analogy that works rather well. If the Sun is an eyeball, my object is an opaque contact lens. Now, the lens isn't directly on the Sun's surface; it's far enough away so that it has a ~60 day orbit, and it's tidally locked so that the concave side is always facing the Sun.

So, along with wanting to know how long each "eclipse" would last from the perspective of the Earth, I also want to know how far away the object would have to be from the Sun to have a 60 day, roughly circular orbit.

Comment

In your book, have the hot but street-smart bisexual protagonist have lots of BDSM sex with all kinds, aliens included. It's a surefire recipe for success.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                            I also want to know how far away the object would have to be from the Sun to have a 60 day, roughly circular orbit.
                            I found a formula on Wikipedia and came up with an answer of 45 million kilometers. Is that anywhere close to being accurate?

Comment

Originally posted by Kitschum View Post
                              In your book, have the hot but street-smart bisexual protagonist have lots of BDSM sex with all kinds, aliens included. It's a surefire recipe for success.
                              Book?

Comment

Working...
                              X