Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masters in Computer Engineering/Computer Science vs Masters in Information Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So smartphones take perfection and screws it up? Alrighty then.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
      Yeah, because I was being deadly serious. Look at what I said. Sheesh

Besides I've got an excuse - I'm on a smartphone. Waiting for my flight to board.
      wow!

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
        Most universities refer to it as Aeronautics and Astronautics.
        Nah, I mean Rocket Science. This is the real challenge. I mean, people usually don't say something like "C'mon, this isn't exactly Aeronautics and Astronautics!". Ha!

Blah

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
          So smartphones take perfection and screws it up? Alrighty then.
          But Slowwwwwwwww....I didn't make a typing mistake. Hypocrisy was deliberately mispelt for the purpose of the gag. But you probably don't have the requisite knowledge of Greek to get it
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I neither know, nor care to know, anything Greek. I guess that explains it.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

But Slowwwwwwwww....I didn't make a typing mistake. Hypocrisy was deliberately mispelt for the purpose of the gag. But you probably don't have the requisite knowledge of Greek to get it
              I guess your flight was not effected by the ash cloud?

Comment

That does explain why Texans are the way they are.
                "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by dannubis View Post
                  That does explain why Texans are the way they are.
                  What way are they?

Comment

I neither know, nor care to know, anything outside of texas. I guess that explains it.
                    this
                    "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by DriXnaK View Post
                      You don't think i can pull it off in a 2-3 year period? There seems to be a misunderstanding here. I wasn't planning on taking graduate level courses for at least 2-3 years. The time between now and then would be used for taking math courses and some required CS courses they want for applicants. Really, I could just grab a CS bachelors degree between now and then anyway. I don't know if it's really worth it though. I might just be better off getting the masters in Information Systems along with an MBA and then supplementing with my own study on the side since there's no reason I can't get the textbooks they use and then just teach myself.

Also, thanks for the post Kuci.
                      Wait, you're planning on going back and getting a bachelor's degree first? Why do you care about getting an MCS after your BSc? Seems like a decision that would be best put off until you're actually close to finishing the BSc.

I don't think the grad schools will look favorably on the DIY bachelor's you describe in the OP, just because they have very little assurance you actually learned anything. It's also a lot of work to be doing at the same time as an actual job.

Comment

Like I said, I have an IT degree and I'm working as a programmer analyst right now. In order to be eligible for the program I'd need 4 math courses and 4 CS courses that they want. That's why I'd take 2-3 years to prepare. I'm leaning towards just going the MIS route since it probably won't make a difference to my job which one I get. I'll never use any of the high level math in the foreseeable future. I can always just go read books to get some of the CS stuff I'm interested in.

Comment

I love it when poor predictable Sloww gets hissy over spelling considering how many mistakes he's made. I've been deliberately misspelling hypercrit for over a year to make fun of him for it and he still hasn't caught on. I'm starting to run out of reasonable permutations of the word.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
                            DriXnaK, speaking as someone who double majored in computer science and math from one of the best CS schools in the country - if the most advanced course you've taken is integral calculus you have at least 3-4 years of math courses to go before you're ready for graduate comp sci.
                            3-4 years of math courses?

As far as my experience goes, beyond the traditional Calc-I-II-III sequence, the only further (continuous) mathematics required for computer science is probability and statistics, linear algebra, and differential equations (and LA and DE are indispensable only if you're on the engineering side). Though we did cover, as a mandatory requirement, a host of other material, such as the mathematical methods used in continuous and discrete-time signal processing, it's almost useless if from a CS perspective if you're not going to be using it or working on it (even if it is interesting). On the 'pure' comp. sci. side, everything is discrete mathematics and its applications. (Conceded that this takes quite some time.)

I think the course of study I've mentioned can be easily done in under two years, if you're willing to do it full-time. There are more enough OCW video courses out there to provide any sincere learner with sufficient material (and torrents if you don't want to spend even on textbooks).

I'm genuinely curious - how did you get the 3-4 year estimate?

Comment

I neither know, nor care to know, anything Greek. I guess that explains it.
                              Ignorance explains so many deficiencies I see in the people at this place.

Originally posted by Docfeelgood View Post
                              I guess your flight was not effected by the ash cloud?
                              No, didn't get quite as far south as Manchester, so I should be fine. Fingers crossed that I can get back for the weekend

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                              I love it when poor predictable Sloww gets hissy over spelling considering how many mistakes he's made. I've been deliberately misspelling hypercrit for over a year to make fun of him for it and he still hasn't caught on. I'm starting to run out of reasonable permutations of the word.
                              It's his hormones. That time of month. The time of month for him is "all of it"
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm View Post
                                3-4 years of math courses?

As far as my experience goes, beyond the traditional Calc-I-II-III sequence, the only further (continuous) mathematics required for computer science is probability and statistics, linear algebra, and differential equations (and LA and DE are indispensable only if you're on the engineering side). Though we did cover, as a mandatory requirement, a host of other material, such as the mathematical methods used in continuous and discrete-time signal processing, it's almost useless if from a CS perspective if you're not going to be using it or working on it (even if it is interesting). On the 'pure' comp. sci. side, everything is discrete mathematics and its applications. (Conceded that this takes quite some time.)

I think the course of study I've mentioned can be easily done in under two years, if you're willing to do it full-time. There are more enough OCW video courses out there to provide any sincere learner with sufficient material (and torrents if you don't want to spend even on textbooks).

I'm genuinely curious - how did you get the 3-4 year estimate?
                                I'm guess you didn't do any real CS then, since you listed "discrete mathematics" as an afterthought. Almost every CS class I took after sophomore year was either systems programming/design or some flavor of discrete math - and for grad school, the theoretical CS is what's important.

Comment

Working...
                                X