Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is it so hard to be a part-time bank teller (or to get any job)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
    I do not believe the philosophy of KrazyHorse gives any latitude nor makes any exception for a particular evaluation of one's intelligence/mental condition nor that intelligence of an individual plays any role in said individual's capacity to value. You know, that's why KH doesn't make exceptions for drug addicts, for example. He still regurgitates that 'arrogance' nonsense when such people are mentioned.
    It's not that you can't value stuff, you're just mostly incapable of obtaining the things you value. At least, if the information you've given about what you value is correct, your life decisions will not get you what you want. For example, you seem to think joining the military will make you a banker...?

Comment

• Originally posted by dannubis View Post
      Which wasn't what I was alluding to, you dolt. Ask how much a firmean should earn before and after he has saved you from your burning house.
      The firefighter average salary in the US is in the range of USD 37, 000 per annum according to one source. The news according to another survey puts the range between USD 58, 000 and USD 91, 000 per annum for first line supervisors of firefighting and prevention workers and between USD 46, 000 per annum and USD 71, 000 per annum for fire investigators and inspectors. But fire fighters often earn overtime for working extra shifts and also get benefits such as medical and liability insurance, vacation and sick leave, and paid holidays, protective clothing (helmets, boots, and coats) and breathing equipment, other than uniforms.

But then, firefighting career is not for those who have an eye on the firefighter average salary alone. It is a profession that requires tremendous courage, selfless spirit and community orientation. Other then battling fires and saving lives and properties, firefighters are almost always the first to arrive on any emergency – traffic accident or medical emergency. Needless to mention fire fighting involves hazardous conditions and long, irregular hours. From responding quickly to emergencies, assessing various types of fires and fighting them appropriately, reaching within the affected areas and rescuing lives and property treating injured people and reducing the extent of damage to property – firefighters remain at the disaster site for long periods, days at a time, working tirelessly.

Normally firefighters are employed by fire departments in the municipality or county and that is where one would seek to look for a firefighter’s job. But their area of work may be anywhere - in urban or rural areas, industrial and residential, forest or oil spills, and even sensitive sites like airports etc. So you may become a forest fire investigator, a fire inspector (approving plans for new buildings) or even a fire investigator (investigating origin and cause of fires).

To be a firefighter you must turn at least 18 years of age, with a high school education, pass written, physical, and medical examinations. Many fire departments have accredited apprenticeship programs that are about 4 years long covering subjects such as fire fighting techniques and equipment, chemical hazards associated with various combustible building materials, emergency medical procedures, and fire prevention and safety.

As a firefighters be prepared to work more than 50 hours a week and sometimes, even longer. For this sort of a job you would do well to carry qualities such as mental alertness, courage, mechanical aptitude, endurance, strength, and a sense of public service.
      I remember that shortly before I moved from Belleville, NJ in 2005, there was a public battle brewing over personnel costs for the town fire department. The problem was that, out of 38 or so positions, 20 were lieutenants earning over $100,000, and five were captians earning closer to $200,000.
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

You know, that's why KH doesn't make exceptions for drug addicts, for example. He still regurgitates that 'arrogance' nonsense when such people are mentioned.
        How would you help a drug addict improve their life? Put them in a prison for years?

Comment

• Originally posted by elteste01
          Sharing is good. Waiting for new studies.
          Study THIS.
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
            This is heading towards mild paternalism, but I think there are definitely some drugs worth keeping illegal, KH, even if people want them.
            I'd start with statins. And anything else that might prolong life for people over 55.
            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I do not believe the philosophy of KrazyHorse gives any latitude nor makes any exception for a particular evaluation of one's intelligence/mental condition nor that intelligence of an individual plays any role in said individual's capacity to value. You know, that's why KH doesn't make exceptions for drug addicts, for example. He still regurgitates that 'arrogance' nonsense when such people are mentioned.
              Telling a crackhead his life would improve if he stopped buying crack is not the same as telling him the "real" value of crack.
              Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

• Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                I'd start with statins. And anything else that might prolong life for people over 55.
                People who are 55 can still be quite productive. They don't have to become drags on society.

If they have saved up the money... they can spend it on what they wish.

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                  People who are 55 can still be quite productive. They don't have to become drags on society.

If they have saved up the money... they can spend it on what they wish.

JM
                  You're on to something; No government money for life extending meds.
                  "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                  'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Ok I'm just getting to grips with this thread's development. I can't believe Albie actually sent that letter. Al, what do you think happens when you apply for a job elsewhere? They're going to ask Checkers if you're a swell, hard-working, dependable person. They'll be more inclined to say no, now...

Anyways, best of luck at the marines, if you get in.

Comment

Last edited by ZEE; June 3, 2011, 04:36.
                      Order of the Fly
                      Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

• Originally posted by dannubis View Post
                        Bla bla bla. Cry me a river.

I ddin't make any judgement on you or your job or any job for that matter. I just pointed out that not everything is measurable by hard facts. In fact, you can do 2 very similar studies, for very similar clients and not be valued the same way.
                        KH isn't anything as moral or socially-minded as a drug dealer. He works for Goldman Sachs.
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Anyone else notice an incongruity between this post and KH's constant belittlement of my life decisions?
                          KH seems to have swallowed the kool-aide that even Lloyd has passed on.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• It is probably true that the vast majority of people who take recreational drugs enjoy themselves without doing themselves or anyone else any significant harm. Yes, there are certainly casualties, but I expect this is a very small percentage of the entire set of users of recreational pharmaceuticals.

I think that if we want to explore the idea that wealth gained != value provided in certain cases then other examples might be more suitable. I have certainly experienced many instances of people being either over-paid or under-paid. The market is always right in theory, but not necessarily in practice.

Comment

• Have to be drunker before I respond to the immense number of retarded and not-so-retarded comments that my post(s) engendered.

I'll be back.
                              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Killing it is the new killing it
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Hold on; this is going to be a hell of a ride.
                                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Killing it is the new killing it
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X