Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is it so hard to be a part-time bank teller (or to get any job)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
    Why is the amount of money you make the measure of a man?
    He also mentioned being better with women, why did you edit that out of the quote?

Comment

• The amount of money you make is a measure of the value you provide to other people.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
        The amount of money you make is a measure of the value you provide to other people.
        Not everything is bought and sold.

I want to take a step back... Am I really the only person on Apolyton who finds this shallow?
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I want to take a step back... Am I really the only person on Apolyton who finds this shallow?
          What sort of in-kind contributions have you made to help other people?

Comment

• Obviously he's donating his life to making other people feel more productive in theirs.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

It's a hell of a lot deeper than "not everything is bought and sold." It's also a hell of a lot deeper than "I want to join the military to provide meaningful service to others."
                Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Then what is the rubric based on which you are beating HC? Don't tell me "service," because you're not even doing that.
                  Unbelievable!

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius871 View Post
                    Then what is the rubric based on which you are beating HC? Don't tell me "service," because you're not even doing that.

I have a bigger bench press?

"Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Reinforcing the stereotype of compensation.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• I have always been a leader. Whether at jobs or in school; there never was a group project in high school or college that I didn't take charge of. I occasionally butted heads with an alpha male but they always back down. It would often get me in a little trouble at jobs because I would often (respectfully) butt heads with my bosses over my way of doing things.

"Leadership" is vague, anyway. It's a nebulous term, but it's not as complex as you seem to think. Leadership is the process of influencing others to achieve a purpose. The thing is, influence is all about appearances. You just look and act like a leader. Have confidence in your body and your voice. Make decisions quickly and confidently and use your men to execute them. That's all there is to it. Now, making good decisions may be a whole another thing but the ability to organize and get people to do what you need all comes down to appearances.

The only flaw I have is that I'm a little pensive. At OCS, they stress the 70% solution... it's not about pondering and coming up with the perfect plan; it's about determining a sub-perfect solution quickly and executing it. By my second time at OCS, I had got that down, but I'm still, by nature, a guy who likes to wait to have all the information I can and to make the best possible decision. When lives are at stake, I imagine I would want to especially be careful, but being slow to react can be far more costly. I'm confident I'll have enough experience from my training where I'll be more comfortable making such rapid decisions.
                        You are ****ing wrong. Leadership comes down to one thing: execution. Yes, motivating your people plays a part in that. Yes, making good decisions and having the right answers plays into that. But at the end of the day, can you execute your objectives using the resources provided? If you can, you are probably a leader. If you can't, then having the textbook answers and motivational speaking skills don't matter.

And that's the deal - if you could ****ing EXECUTE AN OBJECTIVE, you would be a Marine. You can cry all you want about fractures, and sure, maybe that's "legit". The fact of the matter is that if you were a true leader, you wouldn't come across as a ****ing victim in every single post you make.

Want some advice? Own your flaws. Accept your limitations. You will never, ever, not even once be a leader, because your self-confidence is in the ****ter. If you don't believe in yourself, neither will anyone else.

But don't be confused. The dictionary definition of "leadership" is bull****. Anyone who has ever been in a leadership position, whether military or civilian, can tell you that leadership is about getting the job done. If you can't get it done, you're not the right leader. And you, sir, can't seem to get it done. That should suggest something to you.
                        Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                        Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                          When the person in question is well over 20 and has never made as much as $15/hr, it's totally valid to judge.
                          The issue is that you feel the need to compare yourself with another person, particularly a person who is obviously having some significant issues in his own life. The way you haunt each thread of his like a little goblin to say that you're better, it just makes you sound pathetic.

That you're leeching onto the cult of pay as a way to quantify success, rather than whether you're doing something worthy. Pay doesn't equate worth given how many empty, worthless careers produce wealth, Sir Fred Goodwin is the best example of this sort of *anker in Britain atm.

Judge yourself against what you're capable of and the opportunities that you've had, not against Al B Sure.

Comment

Yes and no. Gaining self worth from your job and that you are putting something in is very significant. But financial remuneration certainly makes you feel that your skills are required, the more money, the more they are required. Although of course, supply and demand probably plays the bigger role here to be fair so the former is, in reality, more significant. However self worth doesn't pay the bills and keep you in a comfortable lifestyle.
                            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• David Floyd

also @ kittenofchaos

You dolt, he haunts every thread of mine and complains about how I take advantage of my opportunities. I don't think you're quite familiar with the degree to which Alby tries to justify his own failures from my successes. I can guarantee you I'm doing worthier stuff than a wannabe Marine turned welfare recipient.
                              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Originally posted by padondeno
                                Thank you for sharing. success in the new studies. Waiting.
                                Ten posts? Am I the only one doing the weeding around here?
                                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                                X