Home maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home maintenance

In Asher's thread, it was mentioned by a few that home maintenance is a big downside of home ownership. I may move out of my condo in the next year or two and into a house. I'm prepared for a small increase in responsibilities, but am hoping to minimize things.

Q: Have you tried to minimize your time and money responsibilities with your house? If so, how have you done it? F.e., a low-maintenance lawn? Buy quality appliances? Should I lose all notion of minimizing these responsibilities and return to reality?
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

I don't own a home but... try Xeriscaping? Doesn't look boring like a lawn and you spend less on water.

Comment

Lawn care service
      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

buy a modern house. ideally you're the first owner. otherwise you get the skeletons in the closet from the previous owner.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe View Post
          Lawn care service
          Perhaps I'm too cheap...
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Isn't all this what the help is for?
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Two words.

Rock Gardens.
              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I'm skilled and thrifty, but also lazy.

This has led to a maintenance style I call "just enough to get by".
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Hmmm... Rock gardens... Are there plants in rock gardens? (Other than those in arid places.)

I think the Japanese are into those.

Comment

Weeds can get into rock gardens too.
                    Even a fool is thought wise if he remains silent.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoetstofzoetje View Post
                      buy a modern house. ideally you're the first owner. otherwise you get the skeletons in the closet from the previous owner.
                      My experience (in Australia) has been the opposite of this. A 40 year old house is likely to have had any serious faults that were going to arise arise and been dealt with (or not, and be obvious) while a new house has yet to go through that process. Also, and again this is the Australian perspective, tradesmen are much more rushed and less skilled than they were 40 years ago. I see a lot of quite young houses falling to pieces because of poor workmanship.

Quite apart from those issues, a premium is paid for a new house, which depreciates, while an older house has already done its depreciation so you're going to get much better overall capital gain from an older house.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                        I'm skilled and thrifty, but also lazy.

This has led to a maintenance style I call "just enough to get by".
                        Amen.

Comment

Originally posted by ricketyclik View Post
                          My experience (in Australia) has been the opposite of this. A 40 year old house is likely to have had any serious faults that were going to arise arise and been dealt with (or not, and be obvious) while a new house has yet to go through that process. Also, and again this is the Australian perspective, tradesmen are much more rushed and less skilled than they were 40 years ago. I see a lot of quite young houses falling to pieces because of poor workmanship.

Quite apart from those issues, a premium is paid for a new house, which depreciates, while an older house has already done its depreciation so you're going to get much better overall capital gain from an older house.
                          Agreed. Except here, there's little depreciation from a new house. Size and location drive the price, age is relatively irrelevant.

My house is ~ 100 years old. Mostly fine.
                          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                          We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                            Agreed. Except here, there's little depreciation from a new house. Size and location drive the price, age is relatively irrelevant.

My house is ~ 100 years old. Mostly fine.
                            No, overall little or no depreciation, but there is on the structural component. That's normally offset by the land appreciation, but if there's no structural depreciation then overall appreciation is at a higher rate.

Comment

100 year old houses in the UK are a lot better than the new ones
                              Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Working...
                              X