No announcement yet.

Building a home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice. I'm really liking what you're doing.
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Thanks. I hope it all turns out. I can't visualize very well and I'm picking individual bits and pieces and trying to place them all in context.

In a couple weeks I'll be done all of my selections and will just be monitoring the construction. Maybe I'll scan the final blueprints too.

I think they're supposed to break ground in a week or two.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
        The silver/gray handles are meant to match all the stainless steel fronts on the appliances.
        We switched out our old copper handles to a silver gray after upgrading our appliances.
        We're going to have to do the kitchen next since we still have the original 1970's cabinets, handles, tile. We've at least upgraded the appliances (other then the washer & dryer) to stainless but the cabinets and counter tops need to go and it wouldn't hurt to ditch the old linoleum floors too.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Look at refinishing the cabinets vs. replacing. The saving are substantial. Especially if the interior shelving is still in good shape. Counter tops, just bite the bullet and replace with granite. Yes do the floor. We were trying to save money so we used a laminate that had a marble type pattern which has proven very durable and the pattern makes it hard to tell how dirty the floor is.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• I wouldn't be so fast to "upgrade" to stainless unlees you're really in love with the look. It's a trend, and will cycle like any other.
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• Agreed, but I'm one of those that really likes the look. Over the last 10 years we've gotten around to upgrading everything in the kitchen. Stainless all the way. Keeping it clean is a pain but worth it.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• MM: Are you one of those people keeping the lime green range in hopes of a resurgence?
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
                  I do know a couple single ladies...but they're all uppity professionals. Probably not the kind of woman you are looking for.
                  i'm okay with being a househusband.
                  I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                  [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

• There are only three major appliances in most kitchens the stove, dishwasher, and refridgerator so it's not like it's super expensive to upgrade especially given that the power company offers nice rebates and over their life the energy and water savings from the more efficient energy star appliances help pay for them. We shopped around a great deal buying on sale and taking discounted floor models where possible so my dishwasher was less then $500, the stove ~800 (it's a nice convection oven with automatic everything and a sealed range top for easy cleaning), and the fridge was a steal at ~$900 (regularly ~$1600). We both want to get stainless front loading washer and dryer units but that will have to wait.

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
                      Counter tops, just bite the bullet and replace with granite.
                      When my parent built the house, they got Silestone counter tops. Highly recommended, over 10 years and still not a scratch. Nice colour variety.
                      Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                        There are only three major appliances in most kitchens the stove, dishwasher, and refridgerator so it's not like it's super expensive to upgrade especially given that the power company offers nice rebates and over their life the energy and water savings from the more efficient energy star appliances help pay for them. We shopped around a great deal buying on sale and taking discounted floor models where possible so my dishwasher was less then $500, the stove ~800 (it's a nice convection oven with automatic everything and a sealed range top for easy cleaning), and the fridge was a steal at ~$900 (regularly ~$1600). We both want to get stainless front loading washer and dryer units but that will have to wait.
                        My appliances cost a lot more than that.

The range alone was $3400 (we got it for 2500 w/ builder pricing).

The dishwasher was ~$700 with the discount ($1000 MSRP), a Bosch Evolution 500 Ultra quiet.

Comment

• Originally posted by N35t0r View Post
                          When my parent built the house, they got Silestone counter tops. Highly recommended, over 10 years and still not a scratch. Nice colour variety.
                          Yes, we are highly likely going with quartz countertops also (in kitchen & all the bathrooms). They look great, very durable, and require no maintenance (unlike granite...)

Comment

• I'll have to look into that since we're thinking of doing our kitchen counter. THX
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
                              My appliances cost a lot more than that.
                              You need to shop around instead of just picking builder options.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                                You need to shop around instead of just picking builder options.
                                They're not builder options. I went to the largest appliance dealer in the city. It's a massive warehouse...not going to find more selection than that. They must've had 40 different types of Fridges alone...and a quick google search on the iPhone showed their prices to be cheaper than everyone else, when using the builder cost program.

I took the credit instead of the builder option appliances, because I didn't like them.

My appliances cost more because I've higher standards than you. Dual fuel ranges aren't cheap...

Comment

Working...
                                X