Building a home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Krill View Post
    That looks horrendous. It's like the 80's all over again.

I hate design.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]169359[/ATTACH]
      I like that kitchen look much better. I agree about the backsplash, but that's easy enough to modify. Also, with the recessed lighting it will look even better. I simply don't get those little track lights.

The pics of the white cabinets do make it look a bit better, although I'd still opt for a darker counter top if you're going to keep them that color. Personally, I'd rather go with a lighter floor and darker cabinets.
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Would dark grey/black granite countertops look good with the white cabinets?
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Would dark grey/black granite countertops look good with the white cabinets?
          Yes. My cabinets are exactly that in my kitchen. But the wall is a deep tan color and the floors are a lighter hard wood than what you have as well. I think it looks quite nice, but I suppose I'm biased...
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Boris, you aren't trying to sell Asher a mattress, are you?

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post
              Yes. My cabinets are exactly that in my kitchen. But the wall is a deep tan color and the floors are a lighter hard wood than what you have as well. I think it looks quite nice, but I suppose I'm biased...
              Oh, I haven't made any of those selections yet. I can still choose all colours, including the hardwood floors.

I don't make those selections til I go visit all the tradesplaces at the end of June.

The pictures are just of the showhomes, so it's whatever they picked. There's a huge number of cabinet selections (wood types, style, etc) in addition to colour, not to mention flooring. It's paralysis by choice.

I'm definitely going white-ish for the walls (not white, the trim is white...but a slightly darker white).

Comment

Cool. What about plumbing pipes? By default it's some kind of plastic (PVC esque). Copper is apparently a very expensive "upgrade" that almost no one picks because the "plastic" is supposedly stronger (according to the builder).
                Make sure the diameter of the drainage pipes is the max you can get and never gets narrower as you move from your house to the sewer.
                "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

• Originally posted by Krill View Post

That looks horrendous. It's like the 80's all over again.
                  I think it looks just fine.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Ditto DanS. No one would walk into that kitchen and think "Oh my god, what an awful kitchen!" It might not get many "wow"s but it looks fine. I think it looks a lot nicer than the kitchen in my house, honestly.
                    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• For VetLegion...

And so it begins! Still at least a month away from the start of construction.

Click image for larger version

Name:	136.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	9090422

Comment

• Apolyton House!
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• PM me if you want my paypal.

Comment

I hate design.

You and the SO must have someone who has taste and style and is in Calgary, no?

Get them. Pay them if that would help. It can make a difference in resale value.

Boris has good taste, no doubt. But his help is very limited when he is looking at poorly exposed photos of rooms that are not what you plan.

I vote for dark cabinets, btw.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS View Post
                              I think it looks just fine.
                              Ditto.

...and what's wrong with 80s design?
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Electric stove?

And too many lights. Damn that's tacky. 15 lights in the kitchen alone. What sense does any of that make plus changing lightbulbs would be annoying as hell.
                                "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Working...
                                X