Building a home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
    There's going to be "weeping tile" installed around the foundation connected directly to a storm sewer. That should cover that problem, right?
    Yes to the extent any reasonable builder can design for freak weather -- I live on a hill too and have never had a problem but it is possible for a quick deluge to overwhelm the storm sewer system and back up. Its very very unlikely on top of a hill though since there is so much natural drainage but in lower areas there are times when it gets overwhelmed ( surely you have seen pictures where one part of calgary had water 3 feet deep while other areas have sunshine and it didn't even rain?
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Morrison had one lot left in the neighbourhood that could fit the house I wanted, and it was awful. It was a back-to-front lot with utility boxes in the front yard, and a steep hill in the back. And it was still $165K for the lot.
      Too bad-- when we built our home we were early in the phase and had trhe chouce of about a dozen Morrison lots-- They are a good builder but hopefully your builder will be great ( and you probably can get more price negotiating than Morrison would generally do -- don't know if that has changed)

I will say its interesing to hear that a smaller crappy lot now still costs more than double our lot price
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Sterling is one of the top builders also; one of my colleagues also built with them and had great things to say. They're virtually tied with Morrison in JD Powers, and some years outrank them.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Sterling is one of the top builders also; one of my colleagues also built with them and had great things to say. They're virtually tied with Morrison in JD Powers, and some years outrank them.
          Excellent-- I hadn't checked your links-- I don't recall what I had heard about Sterling-- beenn a few years since I was looking-- we built our house to stay in for a while

Comment

If you're serious, whenever it's built. We'll have a guest room, most Apolytoners would be welcome.
            I'll tell Ben to drop by .

Or perhaps it will be me when Mrs Flubber gives me the boot sometime LOL---- nah -- I'd just find a hotel with good room service

Comment

• I'm currently in negotiations for a mortgage. I've got TD & ATB bidding against eachother. Each time they offer the lowest possible rate, they can come a bit lower when the other does.

I also got them to lock in my rate for 12 months.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I'm currently in negotiations for a mortgage. I've got TD & ATB bidding against eachother. Each time they offer the lowest possible rate, they can come a bit lower when the other does.

I also got them to lock in my rate for 12 months.

No matter what they offer, double check with a mortgage broker. They can access funds from anywhere. I used a broker last time out and got exactly the type of product I was seeking .

Bigger question . .. . are you looking at fixed or variable rates-- Since you mentioned locking in, I assume you are looking at a fixed rate. I have a variable but its convertible (and not at the crappy rate but at the same discount from their posted 5 year rate as was available when I signed up). The difference in interest I have paid is amazing but it does cause me to pay attention to interst rate announcements and hope our dollar stays strong and forestalls Canadian interest rate hikes

Comment

• I was going fixed since I can only see interest rates rising significantly from here on out.

Comment

I was going fixed since I can only see interest rates rising significantly from here on out.
                    Thats the blanket assessment and I agree but that doesn't necessarily mean fixed is the way to go. I'm sure KH could explain how the market has already priced in the anticipated increases into the longer term fixed rates-- I just did a quick search and posted 5 year rates range from 3.9 up to 5.69 while the variables
                    are in the 2.2 to 2.85 range.

All I know is that they have done studies and the results for Canada was that in 36+ years of the last 40, the person taking the variable would come out as the winner when compared to the available 5 year rate

Comment

• Vaulted ceilings in the 2nd floor bonus room and/or master bedroom -- yay or nay?

Initial impressions: Would look nice, but would be more expensive to heat in the winter?

Comment

Vaulted ceilings in the 2nd floor bonus room and/or master bedroom -- yay or nay?

Initial impressions: Would look nice, but would be more expensive to heat in the winter?
                        Our bonus room has the really high ceilings and I love the look and feel of the room-- I have to figure its way more costly to heat though but we went for a completely open concept which you wouldn't do either if you wanted--- also I need my step-ladder to reach the light fixture

Comment

• At first glance, vaulted ceilings may be more expensive but if you have good insulation and air circulation (we have ceiling fans in each room) I dont think it'll be too much more money to heat (or cool in my case) and they are nicer IMO. OTOH, what do you care Mr moneybags.
                          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• Vaulted ceilings are fine in the south, but up north they put a real strain on heaters.
                            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Deposit paid, millions of contracts signed.

January 2012.

I've got ~12 trade shops to visit to pick everything out now...granite, cupboards, colours, faucets, the whole nine yards...

Blueprints to be finalized and signed off on in 2-8 weeks. May be closer to 8 due to all of the tweaks we're doing.

Comment

• For the record, I did opt for the vaulted ceilings in both the master bedroom & bonus room. They were far cheaper than I expected, and they are quite dramatic. It goes up to 13 feet high in the bonus room. Epic.

Comment

Working...
                                X