Building a home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indeed. Will ask about that. Thanks.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
      Indeed. Absurd!

Thinking of wallmounting a TV in the great room (the room off the kitchen), above the fireplace. Not the best location for dedicated TV watching, but the emphasis of that room is more social than anything else.

Planning on putting a 65-70" TV in the upstairs bonus room.
      So you want a cinema, basically? Not a bad idea...although that size is massive. I wouldn't mind one myself to go in the living area, would be nice
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
        So you want a cinema, basically? Not a bad idea...although that size is massive. I wouldn't mind one myself to go in the living area, would be nice
        The 65-70" is big, but not the home theatre.

That'll have a >100" projector. Someday.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

The 65-70" is big, but not the home theatre.

That'll have a >100" projector. Someday.
          When can the wife and I come visit?
          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• If you're serious, whenever it's built. We'll have a guest room, most Apolytoners would be welcome.

Comment

If you're serious, whenever it's built. We'll have a guest room, most Apolytoners would be welcome.
              Most. HAHAHAHAHAH

But yeah, if we are gonna go to Banff I figure it'd be fun to take a short jaunt out to you.
              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Best media room sofa ever, amiright?

Comment

• Not actually a huge fan of the cupholder seat things. I'd rather put cups and stuff on a coffee table and have the whole space on the couch be an actual place to sit.

Still pretty awesome

Just looked at the floorplan, noticed that the builder doesn't know how to spell Shenandoah...
                  Last edited by Hauldren Collider; May 11, 2011, 00:25.
                  If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                  ){ :|:& };:

Comment

But we're on a hill -- I'm on the top, they're quite a bit below...
                    One good thing about being on a hill is that you have immunity from floods. The bad part is that your house can function as a dam for rain water, snow melt, etc and that can lead to problems. I know Calgary is pretty dry so this may not be a big problem but someone (preferably the architects) should have considered the issue. Prior to the latest tornados, we had some very heavy rain (~4" in an hour) and for a week after I was vacuuming up water from the garage every 2-4 hours. No harm was done since it was only the garage (and I have a sump pump if it gets bad) but it's something to consider.
                    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• There's going to be "weeping tile" installed around the foundation connected directly to a storm sewer. That should cover that problem, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                        Not actually a huge fan of the cupholder seat things. I'd rather put cups and stuff on a coffee table and have the whole space on the couch be an actual place to sit.

Still pretty awesome

Just looked at the floorplan, noticed that the builder doesn't know how to spell Shenandoah...
                        I just assumed Shane designed it and he was being funny.

Comment

There's going to be "weeping tile" installed around the foundation connected directly to a storm sewer. That should cover that problem, right?
                          If it's installed at the foundation footing and the foundations walls are sealed, then yes, this should cover the problem.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Oh man, so many ****ing choices. I wish I was a designy gay.

Does anyone have suggesting for exterior house colors? Gotta choose them first.

The neighbourhood has strict architectural controls, so we've got a rather limited colour pallette to choose from (typically earth tones, but there's also some blues, reds, greens, whites...).

I need to choose the main siding colour, the trim colour, the garage door colour, and the front door colour. The shingles will be black asphalt.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2011-05-15 at 2.30.11 PM.png
Views:	1
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	9090390

(And I hate those colours in the sample pic. I am not a fan of dark brown.) (Also, my garage door does have lots of windows instead of just solid in the second-from-the-top row on it)

Comment

• As for the interior... the white kitchen is starting to grow on me. It's very bright, I love it a lot in person.

I do think it could use some contrast of some kind...but what would that be? I've seen pictures of another house that went pretty dark with the same layout, and I think it looks awful...

Comment

• Is your SO a designy gay?
                                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Working...
                                X