Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sony's Playstation Network hacked. Down 6 days and counting. And to ice the cake...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not just that they were breached, but that their security is so awful that it required a complete rebuild rather than simply a change in keys. It also takes a special kind of stupid to store passwords in plaintext.

And contrary to what you've learned from Hollywood, not every security system can be defeated by college kids.
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I'll take your word for it since I have no real idea of the technical challenges. I do agree storing passwords in plain text is retarded though since that is obvious even to someone with no technical background.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

And Nintendo don't take that kind of information anyway.

And "they publicly tried to piss off the hackers" is a gross distortion of a very complex situation including lots of stakeholders.

So other than pretty much every point, your summary of the situation was great Oerdin.
        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

An AES-256 key would take longer than the lifetime of the universe to crack by guessing (even with a thousand supercomputers helping you), so if the passwords were encrypted they'd be useless to the hackers - Sony could just change their encryption keys and be up and running in no time. I'm not saying they'd be absolutely secure, but they'd be absolutely secure from college kids - they'd be vulnerable to corporate or government attackers who could pay somebody a ****load of money to steal the keys to the kingdom.
          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
            And Nintendo don't take that kind of information anyway.

And "they publicly tried to piss off the hackers" is a gross distortion of a very complex situation including lots of stakeholders.

So other than pretty much every point, your summary of the situation was great Oerdin.
            Thank you, thank you. Never go out on a limb when you can just mutter something obvious.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
            X