A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who is left to fight Cirsei?

and why aren't her forces in the valley just south of Winterfell waiting to pounce on the survivors?

Comment

• The whole let's charge our only mobile units blindly at an enemy they can't see part seemed rather stupid. Plus they should have been using the dragons more and earlier.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
        who is left to fight Cirsei?

and why aren't her forces in the valley just south of Winterfell waiting to pounce on the survivors?
        I imagine in the books Cersei will be busy fighting fake Eagon who is really a Blackfyre but who falsely claims to be the murdered baby son of Jon's dad and his first wife Elia Martel.

Comment

• Performing the Arya maneuver (drop knife, use with other hand) on the NK was pretty cool. Almost as iconic now as the Picard maneuver.

I think Bran is faking his inability to walk for years to enjoy sitting around and directing others to do stuff for him. Lazy bastard. At least he had some kind words for Theon, that's much more Meera got for saving his ass in the wilderness

Blah

Comment

• So anybody who felt disappointed a tad? I did...

It's not that the episode was bad - it did a lot of things well, but overall...this is (or better: was) _it_ for the WWs/NK? Hmhm....

Bibs describes it perfectly IMO here:

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201...ew-three-stars
            Blah

Comment

• The whole “cast magic dies with the caster” thing is a pretty well established fantasy trope.
              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• It's like destroying the central computer/droid control ship/skynet which controls all the evil robots...
                Blah

Comment

• pchang
                  pchang commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Clearly writers know nothing of distributed computing.

• I was hoping people would have to flee via the secret tunnels in the crypts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                  I was hoping people would have to flee via the secret tunnels in the crypts.
                  me too

Comment

• Well, it is called Game of Thrones.

Comment

• The tv show is named that. The book series is named A Song of Ice and Fire which implies ice and fire being central.

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
                        Uncle Sparky commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I said it would end with a big song and dance number.

• Since this show is obviously something everybody agrees on/with, lets play a little game. What if? Take a single action or choice and change it, then tell how the story plays out noting that some events would happen regardless of the changed choice/action. I'll give a popular example: In Season 1, Episode 1, What if Ned declines the position of Hand of the King? Does he still get his head chopped off in episode 9? Surely Daenerys still gets married to Drogo and events on Essos still pretty much play out like they did until a moment such as Barristan Selmy comes into Daenerys service. So...

WHAT IF... Ned declines the position of Hand of the King? This one is fairly simple. Robert doesn't let him decline. Robert Baratheon has a pretty hot temper and a short fuse. He'd force Ned to say yes up to and including sentencing him to death for not accepting. So, Robert doesn't let Ned refuse the position and things play out exactly like they did.
                      Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                      1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• A good article on how bad the tactics were in the battle. I also wondered why there was no pitch on walls.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeBro View Post
                          Performing the Arya maneuver (drop knife, use with other hand) on the NK was pretty cool. Almost as iconic now as the Picard maneuver.

I think Bran is faking his inability to walk for years to enjoy sitting around and directing others to do stuff for him. Lazy bastard. At least he had some kind words for Theon, that's much more Meera got for saving his ass in the wilderness

Knew I had seen that maneuver someplace before.

Comment

• Originally posted by demonbinder View Post
                            A good article on how bad the tactics were in the battle. I also wondered why there was no pitch on walls.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/4/3...sKyy4gd-KDbW30
                            I'd add the idea to send out the Dothraki against an enemy under cover of darkness with swords in - supposedly - magic flames which turned out to be rather useless, but made them better targets....though if medieval history had any impact on GoT (cough) there are enough examples of major mistakes in warfare/battles....some of which are pretty funny.

Originally posted by Docfeelgood View Post

Knew I had seen that maneuver someplace before.
                            Hehe, I hadn't this one in mind, but good point.

Two more things that bug me about the episode:

1. While the death of Lyanna Mormont was one of the strongest scenes IMO, I'm wondering if her weapon would have been able to actually do real damage to a giant, given the length of it compared to the size of his eyeballs. Killing him by just poking him a bit into the eye seems too easy.

2. Was he by any chance called Macumber?

Blah

Comment

Working...
                            X