No announcement yet.

A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Every time there is an emotional moment you know someone is going to die. The writers are just lazy like that.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by korn469 View Post
      Also for the book readers can you give me a yes or no answer if Arya's part in the book was the same as in the show?
      Kind of. Mostly yes.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Quite the body count for tonight's episode. Also for the book readers can you give me a yes or no answer if Arya's part in the book was the same as in the show?
        Yes, for certain values of yes, but really no.

re: the last scene, I don't have a problem with it. The show motivation may not have been the same as it was in the book, but it was logical. I don't think anything was lost.
        "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

• I think in the book, for readers there was more of a sense of... well, maybe he deserved that, due to those particular circumstances. I don't think there is much of that for show watchers at all.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• True, though I'm not sure how many book readers were really on board with "maybe he deserved that". Martin did at least try to make the case, though.
            "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Quite the body count for tonight's episode. Also for the book readers can you give me a yes or no answer if Arya's part in the book was the same as in the show?
              Close but not exactly. The rest was even more off.

Comment

• It almost seemed like the episode was rushed. Like there was too much stuff and they were running out of time.

Comment

• The show already screwed the pooch on keeping up with the books in the previous episode, since Martin plans to have Shireen on the Iron Throne at the end.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• And thank goodness the show has diverged from the books. It couldn't tell Martin's full story, and the more it diverges from the books and eschews spoiling them, the better.
                    The dogmas of the quiet past, are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty…we will be remembered in spite of ourselves… The fiery trial through which we pass, will light us down, in honor or dishonor, to the last generation… We shall nobly save, or meanly lose, the last best hope of earth.
                    - A. Lincoln

Comment

• I don't think that the showrunners can handle the story as well as Martin. I expect a severe decline in the following seasons.
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• I think the showrunners can handle the show better than Martin can handle a show. An author in a book has practically infinite time and characters; in a show, both time and actors are strictly rationed. I like the idea that the show has, that Melisande was setting up Stannis all along, getting him out of the way (in a way in which she couldn't be blamed) so Jon could become the next king. I don't like the way they had Stannis get mousetrapped; why would he not have had scouts out to detect the Bolton sortie, and why wouldn't he have formed up his men before they got slaughtered? There's no question that the show writers are sometimes as lazy as Martin himself sometimes is.
                        The dogmas of the quiet past, are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty…we will be remembered in spite of ourselves… The fiery trial through which we pass, will light us down, in honor or dishonor, to the last generation… We shall nobly save, or meanly lose, the last best hope of earth.
                        - A. Lincoln

Comment

• So, just watched Episode 8 ... scary ... especially the zombified Kids

But the Nightwatch should definitely try to get some more of those Trolls
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Oh balls. Dothraki.
                            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                              Oh balls. Dothraki.
                              That was also where the books ended with Dany's story. The only part they left out was that it was the khalisar of her old has hubby's cousin, the guy who stole most of her hubby's khalisar after he fell off his horse, and left her to die (that was when she hatched the dragon eggs).

Wouldn't it be funny if she kills him with dragan fire and takes control of the khalisar? That is what I am hoping for. After all several books back they made a big deal about saying a khal has to defeat all comers and who ever defeats him becomes the new khal.

Comment

• Do you really think that is how you spell dragon...!?
                                "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

Working...
                                X