No announcement yet.

A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah... show Stannis is definitely not the same person as book Stannis.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• If anything, that was more out of character for show Stannis.

Spoiler:
      Possibly for good reason, if you believe the rumors...
      "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

• Not really. I mean, in book
        Spoiler:
        he prevents burning anyone during the siege, except for the cannibals; he tells one of his men that, if he were to die in the siege, to stop at nothing to put Shireen on the throne.

Also, what rumors?

Comment

• Stannis in the tv show is way worse than in the books.
          Last edited by Dinner; June 8, 2015, 01:12.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• At least the ending was the same even if nothing else was.

Comment

• Hezdar comes off as a much more sympathetic figure in the tv show while they turned Stannis into a monster.

Comment

• My thoughts after this week's episode.

-There's nothing like burning a child to lift morale. Someone has to be thinking, man I wish Renly was still here instead of Stannis. He has the biggest sense of entitlement in all of the seven kingdoms "It's mine by rights."

-For a moment I thought there was going to an Arya rape scene. Also can anyone please clarify this, when someone takes a drink from the fountain in the house of black and white, either they die or the faceless men/women kill the target and the drinker lives?

-Doran Martell is one of the wisest, most compassionate rulers in Westeros. He seems to have the political instincts of Tywin Lannister or Littlefinger, without the their utter ruthlessness and ambition. He seems to have the mercy of Renly without the pomp.

-As he's been doing since he lost his hand, Jaime is coming off as a compassionate and complex character.

-Meereen is finally interesting! My favorite line of the episode was when Tyrion told Hezdar that his father would have liked him. I can't believe any of the Sons of the Harpy stuck around to fight once Drogon arrived. Plus if this didn't break them, and they have large numbers left then I guess its time to listen to Daario and take out all of the masters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                  I hate you show. Seriously, I hate you.
                  I'm assuming that is because that scene is not in the books.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• More that it is completely out of character for Stannis. It hasn't been in the books YET, but it is something many figured would be in the next one, without Stannis' involvement.

Comment

• He is a religious fanatic who had his own relative killed by dark magic before.
                      How is this completely out of character?
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• His relative who was his challenger for a throne? Dying on the battlefield is no different than dying by a shadow.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• He did have Renly killed but only after Renly usurped what was rightly Stannis's and only after twice reaching out and trying to get him to change. Stannis considered burning one of Robert's bastards but decided the boy had not done him any harm unlike Renly plus in the books Stannis is super protective of his daughter.

Anyway, in the books none of Stannis's family nor Mel is with his Army, they are at Castle Black, so there would not be any burnings in any event.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                            His relative who was his challenger for a throne? Dying on the battlefield is no different than dying by a shadow.
                            It's not the dying that's important, it's the method of killing.
                            He's done it before so I don't think it's that big of a stretch that he does it again.
                            I agree that it's his own daughter but the show has been hinting that this was coming for a few episodes.
                            He's had other relatives burned that were not fighting him on the battlefield.

Her death is still on the path for him to succeed as the high king. I don't see all that much difference.
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Well bookStannis is very different. He counters Melissandre's wishes plenty of times (usually involving who she wants to burn). And Davos being the Hand of the King is mostly based on the fact that he keeps telling Stannis not to do what Melissandre wants him to do.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
                                It's not the dying that's important, it's the method of killing.
                                He's done it before so I don't think it's that big of a stretch that he does it again.
                                Lineage is very important... not just for Stannis but everyone in this world. Esp considering how they just showed how much Stannis values his daughter and he told Mel to piss off the first time she mentioned it.

Comment

Working...
                                X