No announcement yet.

A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It would have made more sense with some Mole's Town refugees to take on the role of redshirts. That way you could show more losses, and still have a slightly plausible defense.
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
      That was fantastic. That crane shot in the castle courtyard around 40 minutes in? Holy ****ing ****.
      That was cool in an otherwise dull episode. I watched it through HBOGO and kept looking at the timer waiting for it to get to 5-10 minutes left. I was hoping that something interesting would finally happen during climax of the battle, but nope.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
        Well, that doesn't happen just yet. It happens while
        Spoiler:
        Jon is treating with Mance

That is EXACTLY how my wife described it. "That was metal as ****."
        I just said HOLY ****ING **** that's brilliant.
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Originally posted by Felch View Post
          It would have made more sense with some Mole's Town refugees to take on the role of redshirts. That way you could show more losses, and still have a slightly plausible defense.
          Agreed. Didn't that happen in the books?
          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Yeah, they defended Castle Black in the first battle. I think they were mostly gone by the time Mance attacked the wall.
            John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• i laughed waaay too hard at this:

Spoiler:

and this....

Spoiler:
              I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
              [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

• The Ygrette death scene was more than a bit sappy. I liked the book version better where she dies (probably when the stairs leading up to the top of the wall collapse) but Jon doesn't know about it until after the battle is over.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Think that was probably the best TV battle scene ever. Pretty low bar since so few shows even bother to show battles. What else is even in the running?
                  Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

• Holy ****!

Spoiler:

THAT's new. (from the preview)

edit to not doublepost: ugggh this must be TWOW material, probably the "controversial" chapter we've heard about, and it seems completely unnecessary. God ****ing damnit.

Last edited by regexcellent; June 10, 2014, 00:14.

Comment

• Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                      Holy ****!

Spoiler:

THAT's new. (from the preview)

edit to not doublepost: ugggh this must be TWOW material, probably the "controversial" chapter we've heard about, and it seems completely unnecessary. God ****ing damnit.

Spoiler:
                      This sort of thing is why the series gets to me after a while (especially after having kids). It isn't any one event, the Red Wedding and everything are good stuff, it's just how constant these horrible happenings are and how high they pile up that begins to weary me. I guess it comes from Martin's history with downer short stories in his early writing career. A short story with a downer ending can be very good stuff, but if you have a long book series with downer after downer with the same getting hammered down again and again, just leeches away the enthusiasm after a while.

Still will probably read the next book at sleep deprivation speed and finish it in under a week but I don't think I'll reread the last few books too often.
                      Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

• Will someone smear some ****ing dirt on Ygritte's face please. For all this talk about not being some Southron princess kneeling lap dog she exfoliates and mosturizes more than anyone in that universe. Literally everyone else in her band is rolling in **** every morning from the looks of it while she prances around in her cute fur Uggs and hair from a Pantine commercial.

Also giants up close and personal
                        Giant archers to add some danger to the top of the wall
                        Pretending having someone defend the actual gate through the ice, the weakest part of your defense, was some kind of afterthought that just would have gone unnoticed had Jon not thought about it
                        We keep Donal alive but kill Pip and Grenn who actually have plot purposes later on?

While the scythe was cool to watch, if you have a hundred odd people capable of scaling the wall that fast why the **** did you decide to do it right above the only place in a few hundred miles that is defended? Go a few miles over, scale it there, then attack the defenders at the top while striking on the ground at each side. Especially since it seems every wildling with lines seems to have been up and over the wall trivially throughout their lives, this should not have been hard.
                        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

• Neil Marshall is an excellent choice of director for stuff like that episode. As anyone who has seen "The Descent" will know, he's a good choice for making tight budgets look epic.
                          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• Originally posted by Patroklos View Post
                            We keep Donal alive but kill Pip and Grenn who actually have plot purposes later on?
                            I think you might be confused. Donal is not now, nor has ever been, a character on the show.
                            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• I could have sworn Jon called the guy next to him on the wall Donal, maybe not. Either way they killed Pip and Gren and that has consequences.
                              "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

• Or, as they were known to non-book fans, Vaguely Familiar Guy #1 and Vaguely Familiar Guy #2.
                                The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Working...
                                X