No announcement yet.

A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You seem really pissed off by the Dothraki side plot. I'd say that it's definitely the weak point, especially since it never really ties in directly with everything else. You've got a cast of dozens of characters in one big cluster****, and then you have a spin-off story in a whole other continent.
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• I also take it he'll soon be pleased by a dramatic change in the Dothraki plot and Iain Glen's character.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Felch View Post
        You seem really pissed off by the Dothraki side plot. I'd say that it's definitely the weak point, especially since it never really ties in directly with everything else. You've got a cast of dozens of characters in one big cluster****, and then you have a spin-off story in a whole other continent.
        Not directly no, but its quite important indirectly (at least that's the implication).
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• The tie-in is that Daenerys and Viserys Targaryen are the offspring of previous King Aerys, who was killed by Jaime Lannister, and current King Robert wants them dead. This has ramifications that are in the next episode, I think.
          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
          Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
          One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

• I haven't finished the second book yet, but the first one never directly ties the Dothraki plot in. I.e. they never have Daenerys interact with the action on Westeros.

Spoiler:
            I know the dragons are significant, they're just not directly acting on Westeros.
            John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• Dragon heat vs northern chilliness
              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Originally posted by Felch View Post
                I haven't finished the second book yet, but the first one never directly ties the Dothraki plot in. I.e. they never have Daenerys interact with the action on Westeros.

Spoiler:
                I know the dragons are significant, they're just not directly acting on Westeros.
                Like said, not yet.

Though after the 4th book the links haven't directly interlocked, it is quite obvious they will.

Comment

• For the barbarian plot arc, in the book it's narrated from Dany's point of view and she sees them as a bunch of stereotypical barbarians so they come across that way unless you look carefully (unreliable narrator yadda yadda yadda). This doesn't translate well in TV since we're not getting them filtered through Dany's point of view but it kind of looks that way since they're sticking to the book in a few ways, which muddles things. Hopefully now that Dany's got a bit assimilated we'll see them in a deeper way. Some cool bits coming up for Dany in the next episode or two.
                  Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

• I saw this weeks episode last night, and I hate to admit that I found it boring. I really liked the books even though they moved kind of slowly through parts but the show seems to have focused on the slow things. I cut them some slack for the first few episodes to introduce all the characters, but 4 episodes in that seems to be all they're still doing. Keeping my fingers crossed.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• I like that they are moving slowly to introduce everything. I haven't read any of the books and it is hard to follow everything even with the supposedly slow pace. Don't forget that the tv show isn't just for those who are familiar with the books.
                      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• I haven't read the books at all, but I'm finding each episode better than the last. Still waiting for the antagonists to develop some character traits other than being utterly, completely loathsome.
                        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Well it has been 15 years since I read the book, so while I appreciated all the character introductions, I still desire some action. ANYTHING. What we've had has been minimal.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Having read the books just recently, the action starts pretty soon. Then blood will run in rivers. You'll be all set.

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bosh View Post
                              For the barbarian plot arc, in the book it's narrated from Dany's point of view and she sees them as a bunch of stereotypical barbarians so they come across that way

Is it stereotypically barbarous to just go on really slow horse rides in neat lines?

I did like the way they test pregnancy within two months of conception, though. Grab a boob, give it a squish. Hey! You're knocked up.
                              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• Sore boobs was first sign for my wife.
                                Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                                We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                                X