X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• re: Yunkai, it seems like they combined

Spoiler:
    Yunkai's collapse and Meereen's
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
      Never happens in the books. In the books, Yunkai just basically surrenders after their mercs switch sides, and their chosen champion is easily dispatched by Dany's (a character who isn't in the show).
      Sounds better than what they had on the show.
      Quendelie axan!

Comment

• Especially since Dany's champion is one of the best characters in the entire series.

Strong Belwas
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Also the champion getting killed by Dany's champion is not Yunkai.

Spoiler:
          It's before Meereen

Comment

• Are you sure? I could have sworn it was Yunkai.

Huh. You are absolutely right. Why did I think that was Yunkai?

I am right that Yunkai basically surrenders without a fight, right? The mercs switch sides, Dany tells Yunkai to send out every single slave unharmed or she'll burn the city to the ground, and they surrender, yes?

Spoiler:
            Until the mount their campaign after Dany takes Meereen, anyway.

Also, re: Strong Belwas... he is hilarious when he is in the story, but that is basically never. His primary plot purpose was to get Barristan to Dany, and since the show couldn't really plausibly disguise Barristan as the squire "Arstan Whitebeard", it makes sense that he was cut.
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Huh. Looks like I was wrong again. They attack the puny Yunkish army during the night, with their turncloak mercs taking the Yunkish in the rear, and it is over almost before it begins. So there was a battle, barely. And then Yunkai throws in the towel.

Comment

• In the show, however, you wouldn't need all that much of Strong Belwas - he'd be there for awesome comedic relief at times... you know, like ****ting in front of the city walls after defeating the city's champion and wiping his ass with the champion's cloak.

Comment

• I don't disagree; I love Belwas, and I'm sad he isn't on the show. I just see where the show runners are coming from; it'd be one more minor character for viewers to keep track of, when there are already too many for a lot of viewers.

Comment

• One of criticism that some book readers level against the show (and I see it myself) is that show takes out a lot of the humor that was in the book (aside from Tyrion's scenes or making fun of Loras's gayness). Belwas would have added to the humor.

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
                      Yeah, sex, violence and dragons. I would be willing to bet that almost any series they choose would have gotten a big boost.

Don't mistake my comments to mean that I think GOT sucks. I liked it a lot and only lost interest when the author seemed to put it aside. But in the grand scheme of things I'm, not willing to concede that it was the best Fantasy series of all time.
                      I guess that HBO makes the books a lot bigger then they would have been without HBO.

I'm not reading a lot of fiction (more into non-fiction), but to me A Song of Ice and Fire stands out from all books I have read because of it's dept, it's deeper layers, it's unpredictableness, it's way of portraying villains in a different light b/c of the pov-chapters, it's details you miss on first reading b/c you're ignoring stuff like what the ravens are saying etc.

I think it has a lot more into it then Lord of the Rings and Dune have. Two books / series I'm a huge fan of.
                      Of course we must wait for how ASOIAF will finish, and if it will deliver it's high expectations, but if it does, I then think it's the most awesome and interesting book series of the 20th/21th century.
                      Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                      Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

• Just got caught up.

Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Holy ****. I knew there would be a big shocker in that episode, but I'd never have imagined it would be something like that!

EVERYBODY KEPT THEIR CLOTHES ON!!!!!!

BTW nice to see the more boring Starks get offed.
                          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• I would actually be interested in knowing what characters you found interesting (and other people who haven't read the books).

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• I would actually be interested in knowing what characters you found interesting (and other people who haven't read the books).

JM
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN
                              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• In both the books and the TV Caitlin and Robb were boring.

Was surprising when they died but not as much as Ned.
                                Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                                We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                                X