No announcement yet.

A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Besides, let's keep things in perspective. If there wasn't a HBO series about it, where would the scene rate it terms of all time literary scenes. Probably not that high.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
      Besides, let's keep things in perspective. If there wasn't a HBO series about it, where would the scene rate it terms of all time literary scenes. Probably not that high.
      In terms of Fantasy novels? Top 5 at least.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
        For real?

Wow. I am legitimately shocked by that. That scene stuck with me hard.
        I also had to look it up...
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Not for me, Maybe top 25 but I'm not sure it's even that high. But I don't want to get into a listing battle, to each his own. I've read a lot of good fantasy. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it when I read it, but I never thought it was anything that special. It didn't have the same impact as other books.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• I agree with Rah.

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Which scenes are more memorable?
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• I'll do the most obvious. Gandalf's quasi death.

But you must remember, it's all about timing. Most of the more memorable ones are when I was growing up before I had read 1,000s of books. They had more impact. I was more likely to reread books. The ability to be amazed is greater when you are young and everything is new.
                Thrones, there was too big of a gap so I lost interest. And Martin goes a bit overboard when it comes to the number of characters. So many that you just didn't care about some of them.
                The most memorable thing was that he liked killing off major characters. But that does hurt continuity a little.
                If I had read these when when I was in my teens, I would have reread them a few times. (there wasn't quite the selection there is today)
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• I don't have a list of the 25 most...

Lord of the Rings has Gollum taking the ring, You shall not pass, Denethor's byre, the Ent's coming to Isegard, and many more
                  Dragon birth scene in GoT, Ned's death too
                  Hobbit has trolls turning to stone, and eagles saving them from the trees, the dwarves coming out to do battle, bilbo getting the ring, bilbo fighting the spiders

Just a few examples...

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
                    I also had to look it up...
                    Well then you suck as much as Imran.
                    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Yeah jon, for me, ned's death was more memorable also, (mainly because I liked his character) and the dragon births. For the wedding it was more like, he got what he deserved for breaking his oath, and not shocking at all.
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                        I also loved how they even managed--amazingly--to pull the rug out from under we book readers as well, what with the Worst C-Section Ever. I was 100% certain that Blackfish was going to manage to get Talisa out of there.

I was, and remain, completely ****ing shocked by that.
                        Does this mean that she lives in the books? Does she give birth or is it a case of "final destination"
                        Quendelie axan!

Comment

• #4 was not something I remembered either. And I read the books last year.
                          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sir Og View Post
                            Does this mean that she lives in the books? Does she give birth or is it a case of "final destination"
                            That character doesn't exist in the books. It's a different plot that leads to the same outcome, except "she" isn't at the wedding.
                            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sir Og View Post
                              Robb marries a different non-Frey girl in the books, doesn't go to the wedding, but is given a contraceptive by her mother to prevent conception, at Tywin Lannister's behest.
                              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Reaction: http://winteriscoming.net/2013/06/re...aught-on-tape/

BTW, check out the search terms used to find this thread at the bottom of this page...

Comment

Working...
                                X