No announcement yet.

Tennessee: Creationism rides again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the creationists aint even using a logical interpretation of Genesis and they call it intelligent design?

I'll bet thats the 1st time Tennessee passed a law to protect teachers challenging the establishment, their last law made it illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
      dem white sutherners . . . . .
      Its not a race thing friend. Just turn that into Southerners. A greater % if Black rural Southerners belive in creationism than White rural Southerners.
      Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
      The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
      The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe View Post
        No

Says nothing about teachers questioning things only that students are encouraged to have a questioning attitude while remaining civil towards opposing viewpoints.

Seems rather benign despite the hyperbole in the article that this is intended as a sop towards itelligent design. Personally I am more offended that this took time up in the state legislature at all. Talk about waste.
        This is what happens when one reads the law rather than just providing yet another knee-jerk reaction to what passes as "news". Another for Ogie.

OTOH, it probably is a step toward teaching ID in science class. Personally, I dont care about it. Teaching ID will no more convince secular kids of its veracity than Darwinism will convince the religious kids. If the question is whether ID is science? Probably not, since it is inherently unprovable, but it's not really any worse for the kids than the other pap that floats around in the news espoused as "science" by uninformed "secular priests".
        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

You don't care that misinformation is being taught as if it was a proven, valid theory?
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Science should be taught in science class.

There are many things which are not science, but which are still useful to be taught/to know/to know about. Something not being scientific does not mean it isn't true.

ID is not science, it shouldn't be taught in science class. I am perfectly fine with Darwin's theory of evolution (I am using Darwin's theory because that is often what is taught in classes when it isn't the same as the modern theories, although the modern theories grew out of it) or Mendel's genetics being taught in science class despite the fact that we know they are not proven and valid theories (even that they are wrong). Because they are science.

This is the central issue, science being taught in science class. It should be the same for religious private schools or public schools. I don't care (well, I do for public schools) what is taught in other classes (could be literal 7day creation).

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
              You don't care that misinformation is being taught as if it was a proven, valid theory?
              Other than the hyperbolic article statements and implications, where does the resolution indicate that misinformation is being taught?
              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

I think ID has a place in a Science classroom.

It's an absolutely fabulous example of how something unscientific can be presented as scientific. And I think "how do I evaluate this scientific story in the media?" is a really key fundamental skill that absolutely everyone should be taught.

We see here all the time how often relatively intelligent people can have a fundamentally misguided view about a science story, because they have never been taught how to critically evaluate scientific information in the media.

Scientists are rubbish at communicating with the public. If ID isn't science? Why not? It sounds like science, except often it's actually being presented in a way I can understand. People say there are some obvious lies in ID. How could I tell?
                Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

And only in Science class because only a Science teacher would have a hope in hell of teaching that.
                  Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                  Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

But the issue is that the philosophical consideration of ideas is not science. It's philosophy. And scientists are often not the best suited to deal with this. They are scientists, not general philosophers.

ID isn't science. You can point out why it isn't science. This could be done in science class.

That doesn't mean that there are obvious lies/etc within it.
                    For reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_design

I don't think it is easy to argue that it is an unreasonable philosophical position.

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

A good source:

"Conclusion

Science is not the only way of acquiring knowledge about ourselves and the world around us. Humans gain understanding in many other ways, such as through literature, the arts, philosophical reflection, and religious experience. Scientific knowledge may enrich aesthetic and moral perceptions, but these subjects extend beyond science's realm, which is to obtain a better understanding of the natural world.
                      The claim that equity demands balanced treatment of evolutionary theory and special creation in science classrooms reflects a misunderstanding of what science is and how it is conducted. Scientific investigators seek to understand natural phenomena by observation and experimentation. Scientific interpretations of facts and the explanations that account for them therefore must be testable by observation and experimentation.
                      Creationism, intelligent design, and other claims of supernatural intervention in the origin of life or of species are not science because they are not testable by the methods of science. These claims subordinate observed data to statements based on authority, revelation, or religious belief. Documentation offered in support of these claims is typically limited to the special publications of their advocates. These publications do not offer hypotheses subject to change in light of new data, new interpretations, or demonstration of error. This contrasts with science, where any hypothesis or theory always remains subject to the possibility of rejection or modification in the light of new knowledge.
                      No body of beliefs that has its origin in doctrinal material rather than scientific observation, interpretation, and experimentation should be admissible as science in any science course. Incorporating the teaching of such doctrines into a science curriculum compromises the objectives of public education. Science has been greatly successful at explaining natural processes, and this has led not only to increased understanding of the universe but also to major improvements in technology and public health and welfare. The growing role that science plays in modem life requires that science, and not religion, be taught in science classes."

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                        And only in Science class because only a Science teacher would have a hope in hell of teaching that.
                        Science teachers by and large are dolts particularly primary and secondary school science teachers.
                        Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe; April 12, 2011, 13:01.
                        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Working...
                        X