Tennessee: Creationism rides again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tennessee: Creationism rides again

Summary: TN house passes a law protecting public school teachers who "question" science curriculum in class. Coded meaning: **** you, Darwin.

Why the **** are we still fighting this battle in 20-mother****ing-11? This country is such a goddamn laughingstock.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Only a matter til it's struck down, same as the Intelligent Design law earlier. Then we can hear about how our wicked activist judges are enforcing the first amendment.
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

dem white sutherners . . . . .
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Stop that you queen
        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I can't help it - it's compulsive behavior.

Comment

Teachers want to be free to question what they want to question in The Land of Freedom
            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

The South
              "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I have no problem with teachers mentioning ID in the classroom as long as it's done in the proper framework.

One theory is evolution and is regarded highly in the scientific world. However there is another theory called ID that is highly regarded by those ignorant and superstitious.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

ID is fine in a class about philosophy/etc.

It doesn't have a place in a science classroom.

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_1...07-501465.html

Summary: TN house passes a law protecting public school teachers who "question" science curriculum in class.
                    No
                    The bill's provisions call upon state schools and administrators "to create an environment within public elementary and secondary schools that encourages students to explore scientific questions, learn about scientific evidence, develop critical thinking skills, and respond appropriately and respectfully to differences of opinion about controversial issues."
                    Says nothing about teachers questioning things only that students are encouraged to have a questioning attitude while remaining civil towards opposing viewpoints.

Seems rather benign despite the hyperbole in the article that this is intended as a sop towards itelligent design. Personally I am more offended that this took time up in the state legislature at all. Talk about waste.
                    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Good, now teachers can offer alternatives to gravity such as intelligent falling.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe View Post
                        No

Says nothing about teachers questioning things only that students are encouraged to have a questioning attitude while remaining civil towards opposing viewpoints.

Seems rather benign despite the hyperbole in the article that this is intended as a sop towards itelligent design. Personally I am more offended that this took time up in the state legislature at all. Talk about waste.
                        Originally posted by the ****ing article
                        It also contains a provision saying that "teachers shall be permitted to help students understand, analyze, critique, and review in an objective manner the scientific strengths and scientific weaknesses of existing scientific theories covered in the course being taught."
                        The teacher gets to 'help' the students critique the theories they're being taught.

Comment

Let's not forget that we should include the "theory" that the Sun orbits around the Earth.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                            The teacher gets to 'help' the students critique the theories they're being taught.
                            When was that ever not the case? Great googlie mooglie, what a tempest in a teapot. Learning about sceintific method is, was, and should always be an elementary subject reinforced when one does labs in secondary school.
                            Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe; April 11, 2011, 17:09.
                            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                              http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_1...07-501465.html

Summary: TN house passes a law protecting public school teachers who "question" science curriculum in class. Coded meaning: **** you, Darwin.
                              You aren't going to find many accredited/licensed/whatever it's called science teachers who believe in creationism anyways, I imagine.

Why the **** are we still fighting this battle in 20-mother****ing-11? This country is such a goddamn laughingstock.
                              I don't understand--did the Tennessee house pass this for the whole US or just Tennessee? Because from what you're saying here, it would sound like the entire US now teaches creationism as opposed to just rural Tennessee farmers.
                              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Working...
                              X