• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

52 Cents per lb where I am.

Comment

Originally posted by b etor View Post
      52 Cents per lb where I am.
      Yeah. HC in Virginia, me in Philly, and you in Michigan all same price.

I'm intrigued now as to why bananas are 3x more expensive in Britain.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Regular Dole banana are about 50 Cents a pound, but Organic bananas are $1.59 a pound.
        And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
          I'm intrigued now as to why bananas are 3x more expensive in Britain.
          I don't think they are though. Now, my maths is rubbish but...

Average banana weight is 120g without the peel, according to the International Banana Association.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...anana_in_grams

So six weigh 720g, plus the peel which would probably take it to around a kg.

This tallies with the official price of a kg of bananas in the UK on 1/1/2011 of 99p.
          http://tutor2u.net/blog/index.php/ec...banana-prices/

If people are paying ~50c/lb in the US that's ~$1.10 a kilo (if 1kg=2.2lb), or about 68p, compared to £1 in the UK.

So bananas in the US are approx 2/3 the price of the UK, not 1/3.

Now, consider where bananas are produced, and we can see that the US has plenty of major banana producers a lot nearer to it than the UK has.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ag...ana-production

So with shipping costs substantially lower, and with workers in the US being free to get paid a lot less than the evil eurocommies, that's probably almost comparable given the differing circumstances.

:whereistehbananasmiley:

Comment

Originally posted by Supr49er View Post
            Regular Dole banana are about 50 Cents a pound, but Organic bananas are $1.59 a pound.
            Yeah, leave the posh, tree-hugging bananas out of this. We're talking proletarian bananas here.

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
              same, although won't have any new ones ready for at least a month.
              You have a banana tree?

Comment

Albie is no doubt confusing pounds and sterling.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Shhhhh.
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I was working under the assumption that 5 bananas are about a lb.
                    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post
                      You have a banana tree?
                      several. they're not mine, but shared by myself and the neighbours. we also have a jaca tree, a goiaba tree and a caju tree and i think there's a pear tree if you travel a little further down the hill.
                      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
                        several. they're not mine, but shared by myself and the neighbours. we also have a jaca tree, a goiaba tree and a caju tree and i think there's a pear tree if you travel a little further down the hill.
                        It's amazing how many fruits that are consumed in Latin America and Brazil that are unknown here in the United States outside of the Spanish community. My grocery store sells a bunch of weird fruit in frozen pulp form. A lot of it tastes so sour, though. I don't remember what they were called.

Comment

yeah i have discovered so many new fruits since i got here. some other great ones are maracujá, acerola and açai.
                          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Açai berries? They're becoming the next great thing in "natural health" over here.
                            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Acai? ACAI? >> CLICK HERE << Keep your spammy sales pitches out of this great and INFORMATIVE thread!

You'd think that the "ç" would give away the SECRET that these responses are all CUT AND PASTE. There's no "ç" on my keyboard, is there on yours? MAYBE IF YOU'RE A COMMUNIST THERE IS.

The bananas here are all ORGANIC!

YOU CAN ADD YOUR OWN CHEMICALS IF YOU WANT

Get yours NOW!

>> CLICK HERE <<

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                                Açai berries? They're becoming the next great thing in "natural health" over here.
                                yeah that's the ones. the funny thing is, that in order to make them edible you need to add an outrageous amount of sugar, the berries are horrible on their own. in brasil it's usually consumed in frozen form, mixed with sugar, and guarana xarope (syrup). it's very good, but certainly not a health food.

Comment

Working...
                                X