X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, I would live there

Comment

• Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
      Yeah, that's true. They are expanding I15 in San Diego to add two HOV lanes (which change direction based on traffic flow) and to add one additional lane to each side but they've been working on that for fours years and they'll likely be working on it for another 4-5 years. It's been a huge pain in the ass because it requires them to demolish a dozen bridges and build new ones, to grade the roadways wider (including cutting several hillsides wider), and rebuild every on & off ramp. It's been a traffic nightmare.
      Of course the big question is "And for what?" Traffic will still suck.
      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• There are many different levels of suckage.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
          Better here than Philly.

I have no idea what the announcer was on.
          You know what at 1:31 they show KC-native Janelle Monae and the announcer says "and today, one is redefining funk as we speak". I don't know if Ms. Monae would be considered 'funk', as meaningless as pigeon-holing people into genres is, but she's more from a rap/r&b background than funk, if anything. Outkast-product signed to Diddy's Bad Boy label, after all. Though she is eclectic enough that she defies any typical genre specification.

Interesting that the hyping up KCK video gives props to her, though. I thought white America freaks out about that dreaded specter of rap/r&b, or at least that's what Apolyton has taught me.
          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• ...and the second city to receive Google's new network will be...

Kansas City, Missouri!

Google expands superfast Kansas City, Kan., Internet to Kansas City, Mo.
            By Frank Michael Russell

frussell@mercurynews.com

Posted: 05/17/2011 09:35:04 AM PDT
            Updated: 05/17/2011 09:36:45 AM PDT

Google (GOOG) -- which recently decided to build a superfast Internet network in Kansas City, Kan. -- will bring fiber-optic broadband service across the state line to the bigger Kansas City in Missouri, too.

The Mountain View Internet giant has reached a deal with Kansas City Power & Light and Great Plains Energy to install fiber-optic lines along the utilities' existing poles and other electricity infrastructure, according to a news release today.

"Just as the move from dial-up to broadband led to new and unpredictable innovations, we believe ultra high-speed bandwidth will push the Web to even greater heights -- and we couldn't imagine a better place to start than the Kansas City region," Milo Medin, Google's vice president for access services, said in the statement.

In March, Google announced plans for the network in Kansas City, Kan., population 145,786, according to the 2010 U.S. census. Since then, Kansas City Power & Light, community groups and city officials in Kansas City, Mo., population 459,787, lobbied Google to expand the network.

"Google took notice of our region's commitment to technology, innovation and entrepreneurship," Mike Chesser, CEO of Great Plains Energy and Kansas City Power & Light, said in the news release.

More than 1,100 other communities had applied to be the home to Google's broadband network. Last year, Google announced plans to build a smaller ultra-high-speed network in a community of faculty and staff homes near the Stanford University campus.

In the Kansas City region, Google plans to start offering the service -- which connects to the Internet at speeds 100 times faster than most U.S. broadband networks -- early next year.
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
              Interesting that the hyping up KCK video gives props to her, though. I thought white America freaks out about that dreaded specter of rap/r&b, or at least that's what Apolyton has taught me.
              You're so out there sometimes.
              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• I don't know if this has been said before in this thread, but Kansas City is the technological pinnacle of the world, due to its location as an internet crossroad.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                  No, most "hillbillies" are in the Appalachians.

You know, the mountains that pass through Pennsylvania.
                  That's what got me. I was like "Dude, the Appalachians are in his own state!" The guy hasn't even seen his own state outside of his ghetto much less seen other states.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Docfeelgood View Post
                    i was thinking of starting a thread about the difference between grass fed and grain fed beef. I just did not think many here would know there steaks.

sorry OT
                    I post over at chowhound.com (a forum about restaurants and food) and have to agree there is a huge difference between grass fed and grain fed but they both have their pluses and minuses. Personally, I like mine grass fed and grain finished as the pure grass fed can be just too lean while the grain fed doesn't have the flavors of the grass fed beef. Hell, the folks over there at Chowhound are still arguing about it dozens of pages of posts later but they're the types who can make 20 page threads about the differences and qualities between napkins at a restaurant!

Comment

• TMM, have you tried out this ultra fast Google fiber service yet? It's the end of May 2012 so it should have been installed by now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                        I don't understand why they would do this in the boondocks of hillbilly land.
                        unbelievable!
                        I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                        [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

• x-disbelieved'd

Nothing yet, but I am some distance away.

A truck did come by a fews weeks ago, hanging some kind of cable...
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• The engineers have probably been afflicted with hillbillyness - rather than running cable, they've all formed a washboard-and-jug band.

In contrast, if they'd installed this in Philly, then not only would the installation be complete by now, but the cables would have already been stolen and sold for meth money.
                            <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Working...
                            X