No announcement yet.

Charitable giving thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a circus friend years ago. He was a hoot to be around.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I donate money and time. The time is at a youth center and is way more fulfilling to me than the $$$ I give.
      And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

I used to volunteer at the local food bank but I honestly haven't done that for several years.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
          I was intrigued by that comment as well .
          when i lived in swansea i got involved in a group which teaches circus skills to kids (able bodied and disabled), and while volunteering there i learnt how to use the equipment and do various things, which was great fun. when i started volunteering in a favela school here teaching english, i told them i could do circus skills and that i could a class for the kids if they wanted and they agreed. it's great fun, they basically just goof around for an hour while i try to teach them to juggle, do poi, walk on stilts (which i built myself), walk the tightrope and stuff like that. some of them are getting pretty good, one or two will soon be better than me which is nice to see. although we are desperately lacking in equipment, basically the school has no money, so equipment is what i can beg, borrow and make. i try to integrate it with the english lessons a little bit, especially on the occasions when i realise that i can't explain properly in portuguese what i want them to do.
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Not really one for giving money, but I do occasionally when the mood takes me. Mainly I prefer to give in a concrete manner such, as donating unwanted items to charity shops, which I do on a regular basis. I've also done various sorts of volunteering; engaged in sponsored shaves and moustache growing; helped in the community; worked with the handicapped etc...

Probably what I'm most proud of was when I worked in the City and was a reading mentor for secondary school kids with reading difficulties in Tower Hamlets, the area I grew up in, which has some of the most deprived parts of the UK - sort of giving back to my community.

My last thing was the other week when I wrote a cheque to the RSPCA when they took in and treated one of the local stray cats when she ended up in my garden with a gigantic abscess on her hip. We now have a pet cat.
            Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
              when i lived in swansea i got involved in a group which teaches circus skills to kids (able bodied and disabled), and while volunteering there i learnt how to use the equipment and do various things, which was great fun. when i started volunteering in a favela school here teaching english, i told them i could do circus skills and that i could a class for the kids if they wanted and they agreed. it's great fun, they basically just goof around for an hour while i try to teach them to juggle, do poi, walk on stilts (which i built myself), walk the tightrope and stuff like that. some of them are getting pretty good, one or two will soon be better than me which is nice to see. although we are desperately lacking in equipment, basically the school has no money, so equipment is what i can beg, borrow and make. i try to integrate it with the english lessons a little bit, especially on the occasions when i realise that i can't explain properly in portuguese what i want them to do.
              That sounds awesome! Respect to you for doing all that.

What is it about Wales and circuses!? There's always one travelling circus or another visiting Cardiff and we have our very own circus troupe here called NoFit State who are awesome to watch if you get the chance.
              Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                I used to volunteer at the local food bank but I honestly haven't done that for several years.
                I used to volunteer at the local food bank too, they kicked me out for making too many withdrawals.

Comment

Working...
                X