Charitable giving thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charitable giving thread

I was wondering, what is your charitable giving level?

All $ amounts are in US $.

Charitable giving is considered to be anything given voluntarily to:
    Charitable organizations (As determined by US law)

Please select US if you live in the US.
    Please select EU if you live in the EU.
    Please select Other if you do not live in the US or EU.
    Please select Third if you live in a country which could be considered third world.

JM
    US, income<$25k, give 0%
    0.00%
    US, $20k < income < $80k, give 0%
    0.00%
    US, $80k < income, give 0%
    14.29%
    US, income < $25k, 0%< give < 10%
    0.00%
    US, $20k < income < $80k, 0%< give <10%
    21.43%
    US, $80k < income, 0%< give <10%
    14.29%
    US, income < $25k, give > 10%
    0.00%
    US, $20k < income < $80k, give > 10%
    7.14%
    US, $80k < income, give > 10%
    0.00%
    EU, income < $25k, give > 10%
    0.00%
    EU, $20k < income < $80 k, give > 10%
    0.00%
    EU, $80k < income, give > 10%
    0.00%
    EU, income < $25k , give 0%
    0.00%
    EU, $20k < income < $80k, give 0%
    0.00%
    EU, $80k < income, give 0%
    0.00%
    EU, income < $25k, 0% < give < 10%
    0.00%
    EU, $20k < income < $80k, 0% < give < 10%
    7.14%
    EU, $80k < income, 0% < give < 10%
    14.29%
    Third, income < $25k, give > 10%
    7.14%
    Third, $25k < income, give > 10%
    0.00%
    Third, income < $25k, give 0%
    0.00%
    Third, $25k < income, give 0%
    0.00%
    Third, income < $25k, 0% < give < 10%
    0.00%
    Third, $25k < income, 0 % < give < 10%
    0.00%
    Other, income < $80k, give > 10%
    0.00%
    Other, $80k < income, give > 10%
    0.00%
    Other, income < $80k, give 0%
    0.00%
    Other, $80k < income, give 0%
    7.14%
    Other, income < $80k, 0%< give < 10%
    0.00%
    Other, $80k < income, 0% < give < 10%
    0.00%
    I give banana's only
    0.00%
    I give a substantial fraction of my time
    7.14%
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

The poll was slightly confusing, but I think I navigated it well... income between 20% and 80%, give between 0% and 10%.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Really, Jon, you could have organized this so much better so much more easily...

US: Income < $25K; give 0%
      US: Income < $25K; give <10%
      US: Income < $25K; give >10%
      US: Income $25K-$80K; give 0%
      US: Income > $80K; give 0%

etc.

And what's with < $25K but then elsewhere, you use 20K-80K?
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Yeah, I made some mistakes. I could continue fixing it, but I think it is understandable now.

I Guess the 20-25k people will have to decide whether they are middle class or lower class.

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

didn't Jesus tell people not to make such info public?

Comment

This is for discussion purposes, not to brag. I specifically picked numbers which were very 'wide'.

If you think it is unethical to be involved in this poll, then don't be involved in this poll.

I think it is perfectly ethical.

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

US, income <$80k, give 0%.
              Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
              Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think it's hard to compare US and EU, having such different tax and social benefit systems (even the minimal state-guaranteed income differ greatly AFAIK)

I am self employed and have made anything between 10k and over a 100k a year pre-tax. (It averages out pretty neatly over the course of 10 years now). I spend about 1k avarage on charities. These are deductible so one could say I actually spend 600 and the 'State' another 400.

edit: oops, vote wrong

# EU, $80k < income, 0% < give < 10%

should go to

# EU, $20k < income < $80k, 0% < give < 10%

(I suppose )

edit2: I simply put $=Euro, couldn't be bothered to look up the exchange rate.
                Last edited by germanos; March 16, 2011, 15:14.
                "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

My income has varied. I'm more prone to charity when I'm making more obviously but since I've never made more than $25K gross in a year, it's hard for me to give as much as 10%... I mean subtract what the tax man takes, housing, food, transportation, etc. $2500 for charity would be a bit much, I think, relative to my disposable income.

So < $25K and < 10%

I'd also hate to be giving and giving and have nothing saved up then bam! I get hit by a car and go into bankruptcy over medical bills. Actually, I still would probably go into bankruptcy considering how expensive healthcare is.
                  "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                  "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

i always prefer to give time rather than money. i do some volunteer teaching (english and circus skills) and get involved with other things as and when they happen. i'm not really sure how to put a monetary value on that, but i think it would comprise less than 10% of my income.
                    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by germanos View Post
                      I think it's hard to compare US and EU, having such different tax and social benefit systems (even the minimal state-guaranteed income differ greatly AFAIK)
                      It is why I put US and EU separately.

I know that in the EU, people voluntary vote to have a greater share of their incomes removed in taxes for what could be considered charitable purposes.

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                        This is for discussion purposes, not to brag. I specifically picked numbers which were very 'wide'.

If you think it is unethical to be involved in this poll, then don't be involved in this poll.

I think it is perfectly ethical.

JM
                        You're leading people away from Jesus

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
                          i always prefer to give time rather than money. i do some volunteer teaching (english and circus skills) and get involved with other things as and when they happen. i'm not really sure how to put a monetary value on that, but i think it would comprise less than 10% of my income.
                          Don't even attempt to put a monetary value on what you give... because what you give is "PRICELESS"... I wish more people were like you.
                          Keep on Civin'
                          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

teaching circus skills?

Comment

I was intrigued by that comment as well .
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                              X