The Reward for Treason: Death!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Reward for Treason: Death!

Manning gets 22 new Charges, including Article 104.

Possible death penalty facing Manning, although I suspect that 104 was thrown in there as a means of intimidation for a plea, since it'll be hard to prove that Wikileaks is "The Enemy", and perhaps that should be proven first.

That said, there's about a dozen other charges that throw the phrase "with knowledge that it could be used to the advantage of foreign nations" around, and when you have elected foreign officials on your staff(Wikileaks) that'll be something that will stick, IMO.

The reward for treason:

DEATH
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Death penalty

It's like dealing with the third world, and why European countries are unwilling to extradite in many cases...if Assange was facing the death penalty there is no way my country would send him over there.
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
      Death penalty

It's like dealing with the third world, and why European countries are unwilling to extradite in many cases...if Assange was facing the death penalty there is no way my country would send him over there.
      Assange ain't an American, so he can't be tried for treason. Manning, who knowingly handed over classified material to foreign nationals, possibly could although even then none of his charges have the "T-word" in them.
      Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Shouldn't that guy from the Warhammer pic be falling over backwards, or at least have crippling scoliosis? The armor provides strong protection against guys who get behind him and try to chop off his head, I guess, but it's not very ergonomic. The designers made some very questionable decisions there.

Anyway, as a practical matter I can't see Manning getting executed. Aside from the fact that the prosecution isn't seeking the DP, it's too high profile; killing him would just prolong the administration's embarrassment and piss off half the country. Even more than they'd already be PO'ed by the life sentence, that is. If all else fails, Obama will dither till the last minute before granting clemency.

The gov't. needs to find a middle course between discouraging further leaks and damage control from the old ones here. If I were them, I'd give him a moderate punishment, like maybe a dishonorable discharge and a few years in jail, and hope everyone forgets about it soon. The Wikileaks business was already in the back of our minds due to the Arab uprisings.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Unfortunately, he wont be executed (if guilty). There were american traitors in the 70-80's whose actions were much worse but they were not executed.
          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
            Shouldn't that guy from the Warhammer pic be falling over backwards, or at least have crippling scoliosis? The armor provides strong protection against guys who get behind him and try to chop off his head, I guess, but it's not very ergonomic. The designers made some very questionable decisions there.
            In the grim darkness of the far future there are ONLY SHOULDER PADS.

Unfortunately, he wont be executed (if guilty). There were american traitors in the 70-80's whose actions were much worse but they were not executed.
            Bingo. Walker Spy Ring comes to mind.

Comment

Death penalty

But apparently you have no problem sending him against his will to a country where he hasn't even been charged.

Get off your moral high horse.
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Not to mention releasing mass murdrers in order to further oil deals. Nope, your country has no bragging room on justice issues.
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Who is Manning? The only Mannings I've ever heard of play football

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                    The Wikileaks business was already in the back of our minds due to the Arab uprisings.
                    Ironically, because there is an argument to be made that the Tunisian uprising that started this whole thing came about because of confirmation from wikileaks that the stuff the people were whispering about the regime was more true than they thought.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                      Ironically, because there is an argument to be made that the Tunisian uprising that started this whole thing came about because of confirmation from wikileaks that the stuff the people were whispering about the regime was more true than they thought.
                      That is exactly Lonestar's point: Ben Ali gone, Mubarak gone, Moammar, Sheikh Qaboosh and the Jemeni guy under severe threat. Decades of foreign policy down the drain.
                      Hell even Saudi Arabia's King is pissing in his pants.
                      "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                      "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Yeah, but let's be careful not to overstate the impact. A large part of the impetus for Tunisia was that guy burning himself, together with the economic/social/misc. other factors. Wikileaks probably contributed, but it's not clear that it was a huge factor. At least, not to me.
                        1011 1100
                        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                          But apparently you have no problem sending him against his will to a country where he hasn't even been charged.

Get off your moral high horse.
                          To stand trial. In another EU country. Nothing to see here.
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
                            Manning gets 22 new Charges, including Article 104.

Possible death penalty facing Manning, although I suspect that 104 was thrown in there as a means of intimidation for a plea, since it'll be hard to prove that Wikileaks is "The Enemy", and perhaps that should be proven first.

That said, there's about a dozen other charges that throw the phrase "with knowledge that it could be used to the advantage of foreign nations" around, and when you have elected foreign officials on your staff(Wikileaks) that'll be something that will stick, IMO.

The reward for treason:

DEATH
                            Americans are scary. Such extreme measures to protect... what? Your empire? Your constitution? Don't make me laugh. These kinds of sentiments would be terrifying if they weren't hilarious.

Wikileakes is a tool of freedom.
                            Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                            The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                            The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

To stand trial. In another EU country. Nothing to see here.
                              What's the charge against Assange PH?

He is wanted for "questioning". What happens if they get him back and he refuses to talk with them? If they don't have the evidence to charge him now are they planning on beating it out of him when they get him back? Lots to see here PH despite your denials.

No defense of the terrorist release?

Nope, you are in a poor position to pass judgment on the legal system of others. Yours sucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X