Obama Administration's Shift on DoMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SpencerH View Post
    This is a cynical political move on the part of Obama. All he's doing is stirring the pot to whip up the left at a time when his party is in the dumper. Gay rights will not benefit from this.
    I've never tried stirring a pot with a whip. It sounds difficult. Probably not good for the whip either.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
      Bush in notorious for "signing statements" - declarations of intent to enforce or not enforce specific provisions within a bill. But Congress could always start impeachment proceedings I suppose...
      Oh and how DD whinged about those. That's all he would talk about for the 8 years of the Bush administration.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
        Look at our immgration policy. There are lot of complaints that administrations haven't enforced the laws on the books.
        Beat me to the example. The point is the check on blatent executive inaction is the legislative power of the purse (to threaten issues near and dear to the executive) and ultimately impeachment proceedings if in direct conflict of stated legislative intent.

That being said the meanderings Obama has taken on this issue boggle the mind.

Which way is the wind blowing these days?
        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

"Very well. If that is the way the political winds are blowing, let no one say that I do not blow!"
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Overall, it's a good move by Obama. The right's main complaint is that the conservative spin machine is too busy trying to sell how kicking people out of their jobs is now good for the economy to also take on this issue.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Or maybe just for chucks and giggles, imagine it might be that its not a hot button issue for the majority of GOP.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

No, just a common campaign platform.
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Wow how prescient of you to know the campaign platform of the 2012 contenders, none of yet to be announced.

Latest NH polling indicates gay marriage barely registers as an issue for GOP voters and hasn't for Nationwide polling including the last voting cycle/exit polls.

Comment

Yup, politicians only talk about issues in polls and don't try to drum up support for other issues in hope to either distinguish themselves or divide the electorate. In fact, the GOP especially doesn't radically switch platforms to rile people up about something they supported in the past, like deficit spending.
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Oh Ogie, I find your cluelessness absolutely charming.
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                        Yup, politicians only talk about issues in polls and don't try to drum up support for other issues in hope to either distinguish themselves or divide the electorate. In fact, the GOP especially doesn't radically switch platforms to rile people up about something they supported in the past, like deficit spending.
                        Given the trend line continues to advance support for gay marriage why would anyone take an adversarial stance? No hint that the trend will reverse itself. Hence no one cares and no one is going to hoist themselves on that petard. Its a loser issue.

Loser and **** especially appropo considering whom I am addressing.

Comment

Didn't stop McCain from running on it. It's been a core issue for the GOP for sometime.

Oh, and because you stupid:

But the public remains evenly divided on same-sex marriage.

Yup, a loser issue that barely registers. No controversy there.

Seriously, do you post here just to make a fool of yourself, or do your realy believe the crap that you spew?
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

This is another example of the executive claiming more power for itself. It's kind of funny except that the real power behind the "throne" doesn't care about checks and balances and all that stuff.

Comment

You mean, the secret president?
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I do agree with Ogie that it is a loser issue for the GOP, which again is also why Obama is making a smart move bringing this up.
                                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                                X