Calling all resume doctors.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
    The integrity of your results have been compromised.

I do hope and expect that Asher's results were just as credible as mine.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
      Okay, my resumes are not getting me any interviews. So, I have revised my resumes a few times over the past months based on advice from other people.

But what does anyone on here think? I have attached them to this posting.
      These resumes manage to show only that you've got no valuable experience. They are too long for that purpose. Tailor them for specific potential employers. Want to get back into teaching? Downplay the store greeter part. Want to get that coveted data-entry job? Make it really short.
      Graffiti in a public toilet
      Do not require skill or wit
      Among the **** we all are poets
      Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
        These resumes manage to show only that you've got no valuable experience. They are too long for that purpose. Tailor them for specific potential employers. Want to get back into teaching? Downplay the store greeter part. Want to get that coveted data-entry job? Make it really short.
        Or make it exactly a page long and mention: "I typed this up in 30 seconds with zero errors!"
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

So no answers to my questions regarding the importance of wpm on a resume or what constitutes software proficiency?
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
            So no answers to my questions regarding the importance of wpm on a resume or what constitutes software proficiency?
            Proficiency in common software is bull****. If someone claims they are an advanced user of MS Office, they most likely aren't. That's like proudly claiming you have good command of your native language.
            WPM is important for a secretarial or a data-entry job.

UPD: there are people who don't know what the yellow brush thing does in Word or what the lower right corner of the Excel selection is for who claim they know MS Office well.
            Graffiti in a public toilet
            Do not require skill or wit
            Among the **** we all are poets
            Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Proficiency in common software is bull****. If someone claims they are an advanced user of MS Office, they most likely aren't. That's like proudly claiming you have good command of your native language.
              WPM is important for a secretarial or a data-entry job.

UPD: there are people who don't know what the yellow brush thing does in Word or what the lower right corner of the Excel selection is for who claim they know MS Office well.
              See that's what I meant.

Like I've used Excel aplenty over the years (heavily in college, at my jobs, and just for fun) and I'm pretty proficient at it I think. I have no experience with VBA, though, so I would hesitate to call myself advanced.

But would Joe Dumbass hesitate to call himself advanced because he knows how to make a chart and use the =average( ) function?

I've used Access and it was discussed in an obligatory computer class I had to take in college. I have never used it beyond that class and I don't know the intricacies of the software but the basics are simple and how long would it take for me to learn the rest? Probably not long at all. Am I proficient at Access? I don't think so because I've never had to use it professionally or academically except in a simple tutorial class. But what does Joe Dumbass think is proficient?

Comment

Okay, my resumes are not getting me any interviews. So, I have revised my resumes a few times over the past months based on advice from other people.

But what does anyone on here think? I have attached them to this posting.
                Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                Uhmn, the "Research Associate" sounds like a chimpansee doing something instructed. While that probably is a correct description of what you did, I think that you should make it a bit more interesting.

About the instructor parts, I cant' help since I don't know how such is expected to be phrased.
                Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                I may have ben a bit short - IMHO a "Research Associate" do something that supports the research - that could be as simple as scanning a bunch of docs, but reading that in a resume would be a downer. It's fine that you can do simple tasks, but it really isn't "reseach". It's fine that you have participated in a research project, but just scanning isn't enough. Drop that unless you can document that you for example was a main driver in categorising the docs.

Just to clarify : Your resume says that your research experience is to scan docs wich a burger flipper at mcD can do.

I have no intention to be neither offensive or rude, so it's my honest answer.
                I have to side with BlackCat.

What on earth are you applying to? Being able to operate a faxmachine is obsolete, throw it out. Printer, scanner, photocopier? WTF? With whom are you competeing? The microfilm machine is in the same category, but obviously not too weird if you are doing historical research. It's hardly a skill worthy of note though.
                Searching boxes?

What were the results of your research? Did you publish anything?

You've got an MA in History and then you just combed through boxes? That indeed will not get you an interview.
                And why did you note the stuff in a spreadsheet? Shouldn't you have put it in a database? I hate people who give me their results in a spreadsheet: I will have to transplant the stuff into a database myself if I'm going to get any useful data out of it. In the end you did put it in a (online) database so please ommit the spreadsheet workaround.

What's the customer service doing in there? I used to work at bakeries, catering and as a cook in institutional kitchens but when I apply as an archaeologist I'm not going to list that.

Focus on what you want to get, MrFun.

PS:
                Taught “Western Civilization I” survey course (ancient era to early 15th century)

I'm neither a historian nor a North-American but that phrase looks a write-off if you are going to apply in history. What is the 'ancient era'? (I assume the Greeks). And why doesn't it end with 'Late mediaeval era' or something? Why suddenly start with centuries? It's either/or.
                Last edited by germanos; February 22, 2011, 19:18. Reason: added PS
                "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

I completely agree with the post by germanos.

I gather you are looking for a position as a teacher. If so tailor your CV to market yourself as a capable and experienced history teacher. Highlight your knowledge and capability, focus showing on your ability to teach history.

A CV is a marketing document. Your's reads like a dry recital of what you have done and includes things that are unimportant and/or irrelevant (as ably set out by germanos). Reading it I feel that I have to sift through a mass of detail get an extimate of what you are.

Perhaps start with a paragraph setting out what you are as a professional at the beginning of the CV. I am really not sure what would be an accurate and upbeat thing for you to write in such a paragraph. Perhaps something along the lines of:
                  "I am a history major with 4 years experience teaching in community colleges supplemented by x years as a research associate .

As for the computer skills, say that you are "Proficient in . Leave out the typing speed because it is not important to teaching.

Comment

Well, the title of that position really was Research Associate. So not sure why the Director called my position that, then.
                    As I said, I don't want to offend you or like. You asked for comments and I gave mine.

Of course, you should mention that you have worked as a "Research Associate", but cut down on the details. There are no reason to tell that you are good at putting paper into a scanner.

Research Associate is a fairly common position for experienced researchers. It is one of the highest positions you can reach without a masters or PhD.
                    May be, it isn't the position that I don't like - it's MrFun's description of the work he did as a such I think he should rewrite.

Edit: Why don't I read to the end of thread before answering - germanos says it fine.
                    Last edited by BlackCat; February 22, 2011, 19:59.
                    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                      A lot of people will give you conflicting advice. In the end, you just need to go with what you feel comfortable with. What kind of jobs are you applying for?
                      archives
                      public libraries
                      clerical/office positions
                      research positions
                      state or federal government jobs
                      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Braindead View Post
                        I completely agree with the post by germanos.

I gather you are looking for a position as a teacher. If so tailor your CV to market yourself as a capable and experienced history teacher. Highlight your knowledge and capability, focus showing on your ability to teach history.

A CV is a marketing document. Your's reads like a dry recital of what you have done and includes things that are unimportant and/or irrelevant (as ably set out by germanos). Reading it I feel that I have to sift through a mass of detail get an extimate of what you are.

Perhaps start with a paragraph setting out what you are as a professional at the beginning of the CV. I am really not sure what would be an accurate and upbeat thing for you to write in such a paragraph. Perhaps something along the lines of:
                        "I am a history major with 4 years experience teaching in community colleges supplemented by x years as a research associate .

As for the computer skills, say that you are "Proficient in . Leave out the typing speed because it is not important to teaching.
                        Yeah, my ideal career goal is community college teaching, but for history majors, the employment market is brutal. Even historians with PhDs are having difficulty getting hired by community colleges - there's a scarcity of such teaching positions, and too many of us seeking them.

Comment

Originally posted by germanos View Post
                          I have to side with BlackCat.

What on earth are you applying to? Being able to operate a faxmachine is obsolete, throw it out. Printer, scanner, photocopier? WTF? With whom are you competeing? The microfilm machine is in the same category, but obviously not too weird if you are doing historical research. It's hardly a skill worthy of note though.
                          Searching boxes?

What were the results of your research? Did you publish anything?

You've got an MA in History and then you just combed through boxes? That indeed will not get you an interview.
                          And why did you note the stuff in a spreadsheet? Shouldn't you have put it in a database? I hate people who give me their results in a spreadsheet: I will have to transplant the stuff into a database myself if I'm going to get any useful data out of it. In the end you did put it in a (online) database so please ommit the spreadsheet workaround.

What's the customer service doing in there? I used to work at bakeries, catering and as a cook in institutional kitchens but when I apply as an archaeologist I'm not going to list that.

Focus on what you want to get, MrFun.

PS:
                          Taught “Western Civilization I” survey course (ancient era to early 15th century)

I'm neither a historian nor a North-American but that phrase looks a write-off if you are going to apply in history. What is the 'ancient era'? (I assume the Greeks). And why doesn't it end with 'Late mediaeval era' or something? Why suddenly start with centuries? It's either/or.
                          I went and eliminated the equipment skills part - it did look mundane now that I think about. Who does NOT know how to use such equipment?

No, I had lost interest in doing extensive research so I lack published articles. I am more interested in teaching, which is why I do not want to pursue a PhD - I want to teach at a community college, not a four year college or university.

The Papers of Abraham Lincoln project uses spreadsheets to keep track of what documents we had retrieved, their catalog location, and specifically what in-scope documents we have found and made copies of. We use the Pubman online database to put in the digitized copies, and attach metadata to each. The final product will be a complete online publicly accessible archives for anyone to use related to interest or research about Abraham Lincoln.

Comment

These resumes manage to show only that you've got no valuable experience.
                            This may be a serious problem. I'm at a loss in realizing any substantial, concrete achievements I have made in most of my past jobs.

The only type of job I felt I made the most positive achievements was in community college teaching - there were some students who had never been interested in history before, and told me they found the material in my classes to be interesting.

Comment

No accomplishments? What did you do? Fiddle your thumbs all day.

What did you complete at the end of each of your jobs? Take the Abe Papers, did you just scan stuff and throw it away? How much data did you actually collect? What was it used for? What did you do with it?
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

archives
                                public libraries
                                clerical/office positions
                                research positions
                                state or federal government jobs
                                Yeah, my ideal career goal is community college teaching, but for history majors, the employment market is brutal. Even historians with PhDs are having difficulty getting hired by community colleges - there's a scarcity of such teaching positions, and too many of us seeking them.
                                No, I had lost interest in doing extensive research so I lack published articles. I am more interested in teaching, which is why I do not want to pursue a PhD - I want to teach at a community college, not a four year college or university.
                                The only type of job I felt I made the most positive achievements was in community college teaching - there were some students who had never been interested in history before, and told me they found the material in my classes to be interesting.
                                Write 3 different resumé's: One for the archive/library/clerck stuff, one for the research, one for the teaching. For each one elaborate a bit on the relevant part. The rest you should just note as a sign you are versatile.
                                Start with the teaching one since you like that best. The parts where you did teach were ok, especially the 'reworked the program' part. Focus on your teaching skills/experience, that's the most important thing. That you have an MA in History is nice, but does not make you a good teacher. So don't worry about the PhD's. They are probably overqualified as well.

Since you don't want to do research, don't apply.

It looks the archive/library jobs are only appealing to you because you want a job. So if you get a job there, keep writing on teaching positions.

If there are teaching jobs in other fields then history and you are even remotely qualified in them, apply. It will get you experience. If it's a subject you are interested in but don't know **** about teach yourself and show your interest.

More important then your resumé is your motivation/background IMO. Isn't there an accompanying letter with it? When I applied for jobs I wrote a one page letter and added my resumé to that. The letter told what I wanted to do, why I wanted to do that and why I considered myself qualified for the job. The resumé just listed education, previous jobs and function/position. Most of these letters I wrote to companies/government agencies who did not have jobs listed but I wrote them anyway. That got me quite a few jobs although I sometimes had to wait a year or so. If an agency responded with: interesting but not now I would follow up every three months or so.
                                "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                                "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Working...
                                X