Calling all resume doctors.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all resume doctors.

Okay, my resumes are not getting me any interviews. So, I have revised my resumes a few times over the past months based on advice from other people.

But what does anyone on here think? I have attached them to this posting.
    Attached Files
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

AndrewR.Resume.doc
    vBulletin Message
    Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Also:
    If you're going to be at Linked In, what you've put there needs work.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I changed the attachments and clicked on the links - they opened automatically using Microsoft Word.

Comment

Works now.

Is there any way that you can state how you made things better in your previous work?
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Uhmn, the "Research Associate" sounds like a chimpansee doing something instructed. While that probably is a correct description of what you did, I think that you should make it a bit more interesting.

About the instructor parts, I cant' help since I don't know how such is expected to be phrased.
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I may have ben a bit short - IMHO a "Research Associate" do something that supports the research - that could be as simple as scanning a bunch of docs, but reading that in a resume would be a downer. It's fine that you can do simple tasks, but it really isn't "reseach". It's fine that you have participated in a research project, but just scanning isn't enough. Drop that unless you can document that you for example was a main driver in categorising the docs.

Just to clarify : Your resume says that your research experience is to scan docs wich a burger flipper at mcD can do.

I have no intention to be neither offensive or rude, so it's my honest answer.
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I thought all you boys were dying to join the military. Don't need much of a resume for that line of work.

Comment

Originally posted by HalfLotus View Post
                I thought all you boys were dying to join the military. Don't need much of a resume for that line of work.
                I don't know if MrFun want to join the army, but he probably don't want as long as he sureley would destroy the fighting ablility of the army - well at least accordingly to rightwing nutcases

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Mr. Fun is clearly a Saddam Hussein sympathizer. Just look at the guy in his avatar.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                    I may have ben a bit short - IMHO a "Research Associate" do something that supports the research - that could be as simple as scanning a bunch of docs, but reading that in a resume would be a downer. It's fine that you can do simple tasks, but it really isn't "reseach". It's fine that you have participated in a research project, but just scanning isn't enough. Drop that unless you can document that you for example was a main driver in categorising the docs.

Just to clarify : Your resume says that your research experience is to scan docs wich a burger flipper at mcD can do.

I have no intention to be neither offensive or rude, so it's my honest answer.
                    Well, the title of that position really was Research Associate. So not sure why the Director called my position that, then.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                      Uhmn, the "Research Associate" sounds like a chimpansee doing something instructed. While that probably is a correct description of what you did, I think that you should make it a bit more interesting.

About the instructor parts, I cant' help since I don't know how such is expected to be phrased.
                      Research Associate is a fairly common position for experienced researchers. It is one of the highest positions you can reach without a masters or PhD.
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I just scanned the first one and got bored. But a few quick points of advice:

1. Show accomplishments. Don't just list what you did, tell them the results of your actions. Also, there's a bit where you just copied a bullet point, don't do that.

2. Make it one page. You have a lot of jobs listed. A lot!!! Kill some of the earlier stuff that not relevant to the jobs you are applying for. Or just try to condense them into one heading. (see you've done this in the second one, good)

3. Put the months in your dates of employment

4. You've got to make the first part more catchy. Some people write a short summary of skills in a few sentences that basically sum up their highlights. You can list specific computer skills and stuff later. This allows your to fill your bullet points for each job with accomplishments. Depending on where you are applying the Abe Lincoln stuff is interesting and will make recruiters read more.

5. Can you speak Spanish? Put your fluency level under your skills
                        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Also, is 50 wpm fast? It doesn't sound fast to me.
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Yeah, I get around 90 words per minute when I'm typing up something from paper.

EDIT: Just did a couple typing tests. Ranges from 80-90.
                            Last edited by Hauldren Collider; February 22, 2011, 01:32.
                            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                              But a few quick points of advice:

1. Show accomplishments. Don't just list what you did, tell them the results of your actions.
                              That's what I said, but by now he thinks that anything I write to him is just to mess with him.

Comment

Working...
                              X