No announcement yet.

Top 10 Most Livable Cities 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You wouldn't name a city that doesn't suck "Hoover".
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

"Hoover" has a great reputation for sucking.

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus View Post
        calling Asians terrible people
        Hera you need to stop harping on this because you know what I meant and it is very well-demonstrated. You noted discrepancies in rates of acceptance to graduate school between ethnic groups and hinted at it being a concerted effort to make graduate education less accessible to some generally high-performing groups like Asians in favor of other groups.

I noted that admissions people consider the 'whole person' and so I noted that graduate schools (moreso law and business but still possibly more technical schools) would prefer applicants who may have scored a few less points on their tests but that have unique experiences, demonstrated social ability, etc. Maybe they played lacrosse in college, maybe they were involved in the student union or their fraternity, etc.

The fact of the matter is that the high-performing Asian cultures don't really foster interest in those areas.

Recently, Amy Chua wrote extensively about Chinese mothers. I am sure you of all people are familiar with her statements.

The fact of the matter is that GENERALLY speaking Asians, particular those who come here from their countries for school and the immediate children of immigrants, are not 'strong' in non-academic areas. They are 'bad' 'people' in the sense that they do not have rounded experiences or strong American-style social skills. That stuff is just plain not fostered in their cultures in favor of academics.
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

So you're saying socially inept nerds should be at a disadvantage when they apply to universities?

Comment

What are American style social skills? Shooting people?

I think Al is way off here. Most of the "high performing" Asian kids I met were all involved in those type of things far moreso than their american counterparts. (except perhaps in lacrosse, WTF?)

Comment

albie is hilarious...
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

That list always requires cities to be in countries with universal health care.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
                  What's so mind-boggling about this? Moscow is 95% white, 5% yellow, and I'm not worried about that at all.
                  Do you count the Tatars like Marat Safin as white or yellow?
                  I need a foot massage

Comment

Taters?

Taters come in a variety of colours. I prefer the Yukon Golds myself.
                    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH View Post
                      Taters?

Taters come in a variety of colours. I prefer the Yukon Golds myself.
                      Golden Taters? Doesn't he play for the Seattle Seahawks?
                      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Working...
                      X