Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University of Cincinnati to drop computer science major

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

The University of Cincinnati will stop accepting undergraduate majors in computer science starting in fall 2012.

About 125 current students in the program will be able to complete their programs.

The move by the College of Engineering and Applied Science is one step toward reducing the college's academic programs to 11 from the current 17, Dean Carlo Montemagno said.

It's driven by impending budget cuts that could slice $4.9 million off this year's $24 million budget, he said.
    Yeah I'm sure nothing will be lost. While we are on it lets just merge the chemical engineering major into the universities chemistry major.

Women studies are safe from what I hear
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

What's the point of training Americans in computer science when the Indians are all up in this and will do the work for a fraction of the cost?
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
      What's the point of training Americans in computer science when the Indians are all up in this and will do the work for a fraction of the cost?
      What is the point of training fat unattractive American women to be *****y sexually frustrated feminist hags, they'll do it for free anyway!
      Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
      The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
      The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Other universities will be able to supply America's vastly reduced need for CS majors.

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus View Post
          What is the point of training sexually frustrated American women to be *****y feminist hags, they do'll do it for free anyway!
          Is this about women's studies or computer science?
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I don't see why this matters nor why a Slovenian would give a damn. If someone really wants to learn computer science, there's plenty of other schools they can go to.

Comment

Originally posted by Whoha View Post
              Other universities will be able to supply America's vastly reduced need for CS majors.
              But Cincinnati contribution to gender theory is irreplaceable.

Comment

I don't see why this matters nor why a Slovenian would give a damn. If someone really wants to learn computer science, there's plenty of other schools they can go to.
                Its about the absurdity of cutting comp sci being cut while women's studies and perhaps even ethnic studies remain.

Comment

My thoughts exactly.

I fail to see an issue worth discussion (unless you are from Ohio or contemplating CS schools).
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Women are too powerful. You would anger them too much if you dropped those courses. They will be protesting and going to the media and oh man it would get bad.

No one cares about computer science

Comment

Its about the absurdity of cutting comp sci being cut while women's studies and perhaps even ethnic studies remain.
                      Ah, so an opportunity to display your misogynist side?

I knew I was missing something.
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Yep, BS will get more federal dollars and keep the rest of the university, most importantly administration, afloat.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                          My thoughts exactly.

I fail to see an issue worth discussion (unless you are from Ohio or contemplating CS schools).
                          Xavier University still has their CS program so you can still go to a Cincinnati school if you want to.

Believe it or not, even though Xavier is private, their tuition is lower than Cincinnati's.

So CS hopefuls who want to stay in Cincy can just go to Xavier.

Comment

That's not me.

Comment

Ah, so an opportunity to display your misogynist side?

I knew I was missing something.
                              Cutting woman's studies =/= misogynist

BTW I can't fathom why anyone would think that women's studies aren't misandrist.

Comment

Working...
                              X