No announcement yet.

Noble Lies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's too bad this isn't the worst "lie" we've been told. The lies about the Cold War, the Manhattan Project, the Tunguska Event, and all the rest are way worse.

Comment

The Tunguska Event? Okay, I'm looking at Wiki's page, and I'm guessing--based on my admittedly limited experience with you--that you don't think it was a meteor. Was it really a spaceship, a black hole, or Tesla doing a nutty experiment?
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

My guess is it was probably a test of some technology that didn't work out.

Comment

Why wasn't it an airburst of a meteor?
          1011 1100

Comment

It could have been yeah but think how luck we are that it exploded in the middle of no where? That's pretty unlikely. Also some people have reported seeing things before the blast. And not everything in the blast exactly matches up with a meteor. There are no fragments for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent Sox View Post
              It could have been yeah but think how luck we are that it exploded in the middle of no where? That's pretty unlikely.
              No. The majority of the planet is "middle of no where". Also, we are talking 1908 - modern communications and monitoring equipment were virtually non-existent.

Also some people have reported seeing things before the blast. And not everything in the blast exactly matches up with a meteor. There are no fragments for example.
              You mean aside from the fragments found?
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

It could have been yeah but think how luck we are that it exploded in the middle of no where? That's pretty unlikely.
                Not really. It's "unlikely" that it detonated over land in the first place, what with most of the earth's surface being water. Even if you restrict it to land, Siberia's a big place, as are the Sahara, Antarctica, the Australian Outback, the Gobi, a large portion of Canada...much of the rest of the world was much more sparsely populated at the turn of the last century as well.

Also some people have reported seeing things before the blast.
                How many people have reported not seeing things?

And not everything in the blast exactly matches up with a meteor. There are no fragments for example.
                There are mineral traces, which is about all you'd expect to find from something exploding with the force of an atom bomb. How much shell casing do you think they found in Nagasaki?
                1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                  You mean aside from the fragments found?
                  Some fragments survived? I just skimmed Wiki, TBH, and they only mentioned mineral deposits or something. Maybe I should have read further, or should now, but screw it, I'm lazy.
                  1011 1100

Comment

Yeah but it was Siberia which is pretty much as middle of no where as you can get. And I've never seen any solid evidence of fragments. I know they think they may have found a crater and that some of the trees had material that might have been from space, but nothing definitive.

Comment

Well all of that is just evidence that it might have been something other than a meteor. Evidence in favor of something not normal is harder to come by. But I have reason to believe it could have been something else based on what I know about technology back then.

Comment

Yeah but it was Siberia which is pretty much as middle of no where as you can get.
                        You should visit our arctic.

And I've never seen any solid evidence of fragments. I know they think they may have found a crater and that some of the trees had material that might have been from space, but nothing definitive.
                        I'm not expert but wiki says this:

Oliver Nichelson suggested that the Tunguska explosion may have been the result of an experiment by Nikola Tesla using the Wardenclyffe Tower, performed during one of Admiral Robert Peary's North Pole expeditions.[53][56][57]

This theory failed to gain many adherents owing to the lack of positive evidence, the presence of meteoroid fragments in soils and trees from the time, and the fact that the Wardenclyffe Tower was largely or entirely inactive at that time.
                        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah I've seen theories that Tesla may have been involved. That makes sense because he was also trying to build a death ray even though there was nothing like a death ray back then. We had no idea what lasers were or anything so why would he come up with that?

Comment

Yeah but it was Siberia which is pretty much as middle of no where as you can get. And I've never seen any solid evidence of fragments. I know they think they may have found a crater and that some of the trees had material that might have been from space, but nothing definitive.
                            Yes, Siberia is the middle of nowhere. A vast, tremendously unpleasant wasteland, in fact. Do you think that might be one reason why they haven't combed every inch for meteor fragments?
                            1011 1100

Comment

The point of the reference was "the presence of meteoroid fragments in soils and trees from the time".

Unfortunately I am unable to bold anything in quotes since the recent changes around here.

Comment

Yeah I've seen theories that Tesla may have been involved. That makes sense because he was also trying to build a death ray even though there was nothing like a death ray back then. We had no idea what lasers were or anything so why would he come up with that?
                                H.G. Wells described something very similar to a laser in his War of the Worlds, at roughly the same time as the Tunguska Event. Also, any experiment that produced a nuclear-size blast decades before WWII would damned well have been followed up on!
                                1011 1100

Comment

Working...
                                X