Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

European vs American manual transmitions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I have a 6-speed and it follows the pattern shown on Wikipedia (up, left for reverse).
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
      That's because you have a ***** ass **** sucking German Ford. That doesn't change the fact that non loser, non German cars have the correct configuration while German built cars have the construction no one with a brain wants.
      Hey rock-digger. See comment from PH.

Besides: when comparing German with American engineering I take ze Germans every day.
      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

You know, I am not sure now I think of it...it's funny, I use reverse all the time but can't actually remember, consciously, where the reverse gear is
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I've seen reverse to the left of first mainly on Renaults. Peugeots and Citroens I've driven have reverse below the fifth, though.
          Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
            You know, I am not sure now I think of it...it's funny, I use reverse all the time but can't actually remember, consciously, where the reverse gear is
            Yeah, when I was working at an auto mechanics' I used to drive all sorts of vehicles, but I can't seem to remember where the reverse was. Audis have a regular shift as well, with reverse to the right, as do VW's (but not all of them).

I can't remember Alfa Romeo's, but I think it was to the left and up.
            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
              PH's car crashes - another mystery explained. He thinks he's in reverse when he's in first and tries to put it in reverse when he's going for 4th.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                I only read the first paragraph. I declare you both *********.

Thread closed.
                QFT. However you could have saved time and stopped after the thread title spelling error.
                "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                    PH's car crashes - another mystery explained. He thinks he's in reverse when he's in first and tries to put it in reverse when he's going for 4th.
                    Oh f**k off , just that manual control is so instinctive that I don't remember where these things are, I just do it. And also I have been driving so many cars (on different sides of the road too) in the past year or two (I am now pretty ambidextrous when it comes to which side of the road I motor on, and trust me, I have driven a lot in Naples, there's a baptism of fire ) that I lose track of which car has which gearbox, especially as I am changing gear control hand all the time.
                    Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Besides, I remember, it is right and down. Many of the cars I had in Italy were left and up.
                      Speaking of Erith:

Comment

BTW, my car is Japanese.
                        Speaking of Erith:

Comment

I have encountered different kind of systems for the reverse gear.
                          All to the right and down,
                          All to the right and up
                          Push the lever, to the left and up
                          Pull some security ring on the lever, to the left and up

The last system (ring on the lever) was popular some time ago, I am not sure if it comes from European or Japanese cars, but it has indeed spread on different french cars some time ago.
                          I don't know what is the most trendy system today.

I have never related the different 'systems' to car nationalities.
                          The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Well my car has a safety ring thing, and it is right and down.
                            Speaking of Erith:

Comment

What type of car is it?

Dry: that safety ring thing sounds interesting. I've never seen or heard of it before.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Nissan Primera (you have a similar car in the US, the Sentra). But European and US models always differ.
                                Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Working...
                                X